The U.S. Air Force’s recent pur­chase of Chinese-based DJI drones threatens national security. | Needpix.com

All I wanted was the Barbie Teresa and Mika set from Target. It came with a Barbie doll, a small toy cat, and a bath to wash the pet. I begged and begged my mom, but when she found the three magic words “made in China” on the outside of the box, it was a stern no. 

That is how it has been my whole life. Whenever I go to the store, or go to order some­thing, my mom nag­gingly reminds me to avoid things made in China. 

Just like I try not to buy from China, the Air Force shouldn’t either.

On Nov. 2 the Wall Street Journal reported that the Air Force had pur­chased 57 drones from Da-Jiang Inno­va­tions, or DJI, the world’s largest maker of unmanned aerial systems, based in Shenzhen, China.  

The mil­itary claimed the drones would be used to train airmen on how they could be used against the U.S. or its allies and how to defeat them. They said that pur­chasing the drones was cost effective and useful.

The U.S. is in nearly $1.18 trillion of debt to China, according to CNN. In 2019 alone, our country imported $451.7 billion-worth of products from China. The U.S. does so much business with China that without them, our country might col­lapse. 

We are essen­tially owned by China.

Pur­chasing clothes from China is more cost effective than buying clothes made in America, but that isn’t enough for me to just throw out my morals and loyalty to the country. 

In 2020 China poses more of a threat than ever. You may not think that China created the coro­n­avirus to take down the U.S. and the rest of the world, but they cer­tainly did a poor job at con­taining it, and at being honest with the rest of the world about the virus. Because of China’s behavior, thou­sands have died in the U.S. 

Addi­tionally, infor­mation came out that China was spying on Amer­icans through the use of TikTok, gath­ering infor­mation on our cit­izens through a fun social media platform. There is so much they can do with that infor­mation. They could collect infor­mation on the U.S. mil­itary and send that infor­mation back to China. We as a nation should be worried and angry that they con­tinue to have an oppor­tunity to do that.

It is quite pos­sible that the drones pur­chased from China will give them the ability to spy on our mil­itary. They have spied on the country before, why should we assume that this time they won’t?

China con­tinues to wrong us. They con­tinue to see that we are vul­nerable under their control. And maybe they are right. Instead of sub­mitting to their control, our U.S. mil­itary should return those drones and refuse to pur­chase from China in the future.

Taking back our country begins with those who lead us. The mil­itary needs to set a good example for all to follow. 

If it isn’t from America, I don’t want it.

Reagan Gen­siejewski is a junior studying rhetoric and public address.