The store­front of Handmade, which is coping with new COVID-19-related restric­tions. Kali Dal­rymple | Col­legian

Small-business restau­rants in Hillsdale are adopting new strategies amid new require­ments announced this week by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Ser­vices.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer announced a wide range of new restric­tions on Nov. 15, including a tem­porary halt on indoor dining ser­vices in restau­rants and bars, effective Nov. 18 through Dec. 8, according to the Detroit News.

Handmade owner Derek Spiteri said he finds the new orders, espe­cially the sug­gestion for restau­rants “to explore outdoor dining options,” to be a little insulting.

“It’s just not fea­sible,” Spiteri said. “People do not want to eat outside in November and the first week of December.”

Nev­er­theless, he said that his business is ready to move back to takeout due to his expe­rience with the shutdown from earlier this year.

“We didn’t have to re-educate the cus­tomers on the process,” Spiteri said. “We were already built for takeout service. Every­thing we needed we had here.”

Despite this “seamless tran­sition” back to takeout, Spiteri said he worries more about the volume of people wanting his ser­vices now that people are encouraged to work from home again.

“We’re pre­dom­i­nantly a lunchtime spot,” he said. “If a lot of people are being required to work from home if they are able to, there will be fewer people in the downtown area during the lunch hour.”

At the Coffee Cup Diner owner Brandy Ervans, however, said it makes sense to shut down her business due to the inef­fec­tiveness of takeout at her restaurant.

“It’s so unre­liable,” Ervans said. “It costs me money to stay open.”

The Coffee Cup was just beginning to get back to normal profits during the fall month, Ervans said, when she was forced to close the diner during the week of Nov. 9 because she had a high fever. When her COVID-19 test came back neg­ative, she intended to open up again, but then the Nov. 15 health restric­tions came.

This time, Ervans said she is thinking about taking another paying job during the winter months to cover the util­ities and opening back up in the spring.

“It’s going to be a better time of year,” she said. “I can still maintain the business and just reopen when this passes and we can have running oper­a­tions as normal.”

Jilly Beans will con­tinue its carry-out oper­ation, but manager Becky Yoder said the business will be severely affected by the lack of dine-in capa­bil­ities, as at least 75% of its cus­tomers choose to use their indoor dining.

“We are going to lose a lot,” Yoder said. “But I think our locals will still come in and support us.”

Jilly Beans will try to reopen indoor dining as soon as the gov­ernment allows, Yoder said.

On the other hand, the Filling Station Deli, which is pre­dom­i­nantly a takeout business, should not lose much business, according to owner Cindy Bieszk.

Bieszk closed her indoor dining option during the first round of exec­utive orders in March. With summer weather favoring outdoor dining, Bieszk said she only reopened it at the end of Sep­tember when the weather started getting cool again.

Bieszk shut the dining space back down again when Gov. Whitmer man­dated busi­nesses to contact-trace their cus­tomers on Nov. 2. Bieszk said she will not open regular dining until con­tract-tracing is no longer required.

“It’s not worth it for my cus­tomers and I shut it back down,” she said. “It’s a bit of an intrusion.”

Nev­er­theless, restric­tions on indoor dining have not hin­dered the business much, as indoor dining has only been an option at Filling Station for a year and a half, according to Bieszk.

“It was still about 60 – 70% takeout because that’s what cus­tomers were used to,” she said.

“I am in a unique position,” Bieszk said. “We were takeout-only for almost 29 years. My world did not change a whole lot. I’ve been fairly lucky to keep my normal.”

Spiteri said he encourages people to con­tinue to support small busi­nesses during this dif­ficult time.

“Keep the local small busi­nesses in mind as you are spending your dollars this holiday season. If we thought a lot of small busi­nesses closed before, this will be the final nail in the coffin for a lot of places,” Spiteri said. “I think it means a lot more to small mom-and-pops than it does to giant cor­po­ra­tions.”