Gelzer’s Hardware is moving to 115 E. Car­leton Road. Courtesy | Gelzer & Son

Gelzer’s Hardware, cur­rently located in the heart of his­toric downtown Hillsdale, is moving to a bigger facility.

Andrew Gelzer, the great-great-grandson of the hardware store’s founders, said the new location will offer a bigger store, better parking, and “room to grow the business in the future.” 

The move will allow dif­ferent depart­ments to expand at Gelzer’s. 

“We’re putting in a much larger assortment of mobile home, recre­ational vehicle, and boating sup­plies,” Gelzer said. “All of our depart­ments will be expanded from what we cur­rently do.”

A bigger location will also help the backend of the business become more efficient. 

“A new location would make the loading and unloading process easier, which is cur­rently manned through one roll-up door in the back of the store,” Gelzer said. “What’s nor­mally a six-man, three-hour oper­ation will turn into a one-person, 15-minute operation.”

Gelzer’s Hardware has served the Hillsdale com­munity for over 100 years. The store has moved before. In the 1920s, they relo­cated to their current location on North Howell Street. To this day, Gelzer’s Hardware and its sister store, Gelzer’s Fur­niture, are family-owned.

Lilly Duncan, a student at the Van Andel Graduate School of States­manship, said the store always has what she needs available. “My dad felt com­fortable leaving me in Hillsdale with such a great hardware store nearby,” she said.

Although an official move-in date has not yet been announced, Gelzer said he was pleased with the progress so far. 

“This has been a great learning expe­rience for all of us involved,” he said.

“We’re very excited about the move,” Gelzer said. “We’re very grateful to all of our cus­tomers and our com­munity. It wouldn’t be pos­sible without them.”

Gelzer’s new location will be at 115 E. Car­leton Road.