Gelzer’s Hardware to Move to New Location

Home City News Gelzer’s Hardware to Move to New Location
Gelzer’s Hardware is moving to 115 E. Carleton Road. Courtesy | Gelzer & Son

Gelzer’s Hardware, currently located in the heart of historic downtown Hillsdale, is moving to a bigger facility.

Andrew Gelzer, the great-great-grandson of the hardware store’s founders, said the new location will offer a bigger store, better parking, and “room to grow the business in the future.” 

The move will allow different departments to expand at Gelzer’s. 

“We’re putting in a much larger assortment of mobile home, recreational vehicle, and boating supplies,” Gelzer said. “All of our departments will be expanded from what we currently do.”

A bigger location will also help the backend of the business become more efficient. 

“A new location would make the loading and unloading process easier, which is currently manned through one roll-up door in the back of the store,” Gelzer said. “What’s normally a six-man, three-hour operation will turn into a one-person, 15-minute operation.”

Gelzer’s Hardware has served the Hillsdale community for over 100 years. The store has moved before. In the 1920s, they relocated to their current location on North Howell Street. To this day, Gelzer’s Hardware and its sister store, Gelzer’s Furniture, are family-owned.

Lilly Duncan, a student at the Van Andel Graduate School of Statesmanship, said the store always has what she needs available. “My dad felt comfortable leaving me in Hillsdale with such a great hardware store nearby,” she said.

Although an official move-in date has not yet been announced, Gelzer said he was pleased with the progress so far. 

“This has been a great learning experience for all of us involved,” he said.

“We’re very excited about the move,” Gelzer said. “We’re very grateful to all of our customers and our community. It wouldn’t be possible without them.”

Gelzer’s new location will be at 115 E. Carleton Road.