The men of Delta Tau Delta pose after a suc­cessful fundraiser. Maggie Hroncich | Collegian

The Helping Hands Preg­nancy Center received a large donation from an unex­pected source: the Kappa chapter of the Delta Tau Delta fra­ternity. In the past three weeks, the broth­erhood raised approx­i­mately $4,000 for the local non­profit, which pro­vides pro-life preg­nancy coun­seling and a variety of other ser­vices to mothers and fathers in the Hillsdale area.

Chapter Pres­ident Paul Eposito played a critical role in the decision to support a local orga­ni­zation rather than the fraternity’s national ini­tiative, Junior Dia­betes Research Foun­dation. The broth­erhood began part­nering with Helping Hands at the start of the spring semester. With the dis­rup­tions of the COVID-19 pan­demic, they were not able to do much, but they have hit the ground running this fall. 

“We realized we could really, truly make a dif­ference if we try to enact change here locally,” Esposito said. 

The fra­ternity had a rel­a­tively detailed process of choosing an orga­ni­zation to support. 

“I think our cri­teria is that we’d make it local to the area,” Esposito said. “It was a rep­utable orga­ni­zation that we could trust and it’s some­thing that could actually go along with who we are as an orga­ni­zation. We’d really be able to take a stand for helping with pro-life efforts, which a lot of our members feel strongly about. We’d also be able to support a really pos­itive view of fatherhood, which I think is essential to being a good man, which Delt stands for.”

In an effort to raise money for Helping Hands, Delta Tau Delta planned a single fundraiser event titled, “Date a Delt.” The fundraiser fea­tured members of the fra­ternity and pro­vided an oppor­tunity for stu­dents to bid on them for dates. The men raised over $2,600 in one night.

Members on Delt’s phil­an­thropy board said they were pleas­antly sur­prised by the outcome of the event. 

“I tried to go in with very minimal expec­ta­tions,” board member Mason Mohon said. “It’s a really funny event, but you know, things are only funny when they’re like, at least a little bit edgy. We absolutely blew it out of the water.”

Nearly 75 stu­dents came out to support the men of Delta Tau Delta and their ini­tiative during “Date a Delt.” Bidding averaged around $100-$200 per Delt auc­tioned with the highest bidder being senior Emma Alberts.

Emma Alberts decided to con­tribute after hearing the fra­ternity had chosen to support Helping Hands.

“I really appre­ciated the little details that they put into it, such as the bidding cards that had Delta Tau Delta written on them,” Alberts said. “They also had a little brochure, and being able to pull off a fun auction without it getting boring or weird is hard to do. I think they pulled it off and raised a lot of money for charity, which is really what matters.”

Delta Tau Delta expressed grat­itude that the stu­dents of Hillsdale took time to not only support the fra­ternity, but also Helping Hands. 

“I’m really thankful for the people that came out and sup­ported us in the event,” Esposito said. “I mean, we had some pretty good planning and a decent idea, but the event was only a success because of the people. And it was ulti­mately their money that we have the blessing of shep­herding to help them.”