With Sud‑Z Dry Cleaners closed, Schafer Dry Cleaning and Legacy Dry Cleaners offer alter­na­tives to fill the void in the market. Courtesy | Thomas Curro

With Sud‑Z Dry Cleaners closed in Hillsdale, people seeking dry cleaning have to look toward neigh­boring towns, such as Hudson, Cold­water, and Jackson. Two dry cleaners offer alter­na­tives to fill the void left in the local market: Schafer Dry Cleaning and Legacy Dry Cleaners. 

Schafer Dry Cleaning has been in business in Jackson since 1898, with loca­tions in both Brooklyn and Jackson. Recently, Schafer has begun offering free delivery to Hillsdale. 

“We are now offering free pickup and delivery of our full line of ser­vices to Hillsdale, including leather, suedes, wash and fold service, and much more,” said Steve Hanifl, owner of Schafer Dry Cleaning. “Delivery service can be to a home, dorm, or office.” Hanifl and his wife, Vicky, are only the third owners of Schafer since 1898.

Schafer Dry Cleaning won the 2016 and 2017 Best of Jackson Award in the dry cleaner cat­egory from the Jackson Award Program.

Schafer’s Jackson location has returned to regular, pre-pan­demic hours of 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sat­urday, while the Brooklyn location is still on shortened hours, open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Sat­urday.

Legacy Dry Cleaners, estab­lished in 2006, is another dry cleaning option within a 45-minute radius of Hillsdale. In addition to standard dry-cleaning ser­vices, it offers leather cleaning and dyeing.

“We have been able to maintain our normal hours and plan to do so moving forward,” Derek Adams, owner of Legacy Dry Cleaners, said. “Store hours are Monday-Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Sat­urday 9 a.m to 1 p.m. A typical turn­around time for orders is two days. We offer a variety of ser­vices in addition to eco-friendly dry cleaning, bedding, leather and suedes, wedding gown preser­vation, and a self-service ozone deodorizer machine.”

Legacy Dry Cleaners has an online cus­tomer portal as well as an app, giving cus­tomers the ability to use the website or the app to view pre­vious and current orders or change their credit card pref­erence. They also notify cus­tomers via text and email when their order is ready for pickup.

“Not all dry cleaners are created equal. We all use dif­ferent products, some using more premium deter­gents, fluids, and chem­icals than others,” Adams said. 

Hanifl said that at Schafer’s, items are inspected twice, once upon check-in and once before pack­aging to ensure clean­liness. 

“Add to that free pickup and delivery, free same-day service at the Jackson location, free button replacement on shirts and pants, use of the highest quality cleaning agents, and envi­ron­men­tally-friendly equipment and pro­ce­dures,” Hanifl said. “We believe that we offer the greatest value.”