A view of campus from Central Hall. Bryan Springer | Courtesy

The Biermann Ath­letic Center had turned into a pseudo-mil­itary hos­pital. People were scat­tered on cots all around the building, there were cur­tains cov­ering the windows. At least, that’s the story that was going around earlier this week.

As it turns out, it wasn’t true. 

In the last week, we have been receiving COVID-19 updates nearly every other day — more stu­dents are in quar­antine, more stu­dents have tested pos­itive, another event is can­celed. Stu­dents’ reac­tions have varied, from support of admin­is­trative deci­sions to com­plete oppo­sition to them. Rumors fly from student to student — even to the point where some of us believed the college had an entire ath­letic complex packed with quar­an­tined stu­dents. 

Of course, there will be debate about how the admin­is­tration should carry out pan­demic policies. That’s the nature of a novel virus; no one is an expert. Every pro­tocol is new.

There is, however, a simple phrase that we’ve been told since we’ve arrived at Hillsdale: College is a part­nership. If this is true, then it is our respon­si­bility to com­mu­nicate our needs and con­cerns to the admin­is­tration, our pro­fessors, and our campus leaders, rather than com­plain amongst our­selves about the various ways in which we think the college has failed. 

Just like we call our con­gressmen if we want to see changes in policy, we should seek to have healthy con­ver­sa­tions with our leaders who can actually make the changes we vent about on our way to class. Where there are no con­ver­sa­tions, there is no growth. And there may be more to the story than you think.