Allison Schuster is a senior studying pol­itics and jour­nalism. (Allison Schuster)

Speak up for those who cannot speak for them­selves,

for the rights of all who are des­titute.

Speak up and judge fairly;

defend the rights of the poor and needy: Proverbs 31:8 – 9. 

Asso­ciate Editor Allison Schuster’s favorite Bible verse truly encap­su­lates her approach to life and jour­nalism. 

Whether she is coaching younger Col­legian writers or helping friends find their enneagram types, Schuster is con­stantly fighting to give others a voice. 

However she was first inspired to pursue jour­nalism because of her love of pol­itics. 

“I think during the 2016 election, which was my senior year of high school, seeing the cov­erage of that and the power of the media was what really influ­enced me,” Schuster said. 

Her fol­lowing of political news cov­erage, including Kat Timpf and the Greg Gut­tfield show, led her to Hillsdale. 

“I just thought Kat was so funny,” Schuster said. “I lit­erally googled Kat Timpf’s edu­cation and it said Hillsdale College, and I thought where’s that? I found out it was in Michigan, three hours away from my hometown.” 

Upon arriving at Hillsdale, Schuster imme­di­ately got involved in the jour­nalism program. 

Schuster said, “The first week of my freshman year I went to the meeting and took stories and just kind of delved right in. I became an assistant editor my second semester and have been hooked on Col­legian ever since!” 

Her jour­nal­istic endeavors have extended outside of the Col­legian. 

During the summer before her junior year, Schuster learned about small town jour­nalism on Mackinac Island, writing for the Mackinac Island Town Crier. She worked for The Daily Signal last spring and, last summer, she interned for the Fed­er­alist during which she wrote on a variety of issues and pro­duced a podcast. 

Schuster said these intern­ships have pro­vided her with invaluable learning expe­ri­ences and con­nec­tions.

“All those amazing people were such joy to work with. At the Fed­er­alist, specif­i­cally, I saw a lot of people who cared about exposing the truth and holding people accountable. Not only public offi­cials accountable, but other media outlets accountable,” Schuster said. 

Schuster’s favorite jour­nalism mem­ories consist of the late nights before printing and the friend­ships made in the office. 

“I’ve always had just a really awesome rela­tionship with those I’ve edited with. My sophomore year the fea­tures team would be up so late. And we were just so stressed all the time,” Schuster said. “We’d reward our­selves with what we called the 11 o’clock lull, which is the period in between when we have sent in our page to the pub­lishing company but haven’t uploaded our stories yet. In between that time, we would always come to AJ’s and get sweet potato fries.” 

Schuster hopes to con­tinue making these fun mem­ories as she pursues a career in jour­nalism and news media.