Socha, Swan battle for Hillsdale Ward 4 City Council seat

Home City News Socha, Swan battle for Hillsdale Ward 4 City Council seat
Robert Socha and Penny Swan are running in the Ward 4 city council race. City Council Collegian | Julia Mullins

Hillsdale resident Penny Swan says she’ll watch “every penny being spent” if elected to Hillsdale City Council. 

Swan, who has run for city council once before, is looking to make her role in city government official with a win in the Ward 4 city council race. In 2017, she lost to current councilman Ray Briner. Now, she’s running against Robert Socha for the other Ward 4 seat currently held by councilman Matt Bell. 

Socha relocated to the Hillsdale area with his family seven years ago. An Air Force veteran, he served for over five years before being honorably discharged. Upon moving to Hillsdale, he invested in the former Broad Street Market. Socha has been heavily involved in the community, serving on the Tax Increment Financing Authority board for six years and as Rotary president for the past year. 

“I love to serve,” Socha said. “It’s in my DNA.” 

Socha moved his family into town four years ago with the intention of getting into city politics. This election is his first in which he can run. Socha said he loves to serve the community and would work hard to represent Hillsdale well.

“I’m committed to the community,” Socha said. “I think I’ll be a voice that will be able to stand up for what the community wants.”

For Swan, local politics surrounds her life. In the six or so years that she’s been attending Hillsdale City Council meetings, she’s maybe missed five in total. Swan attends most sub-committee and county meetings. She’s also served on the housing commission, zoning board of appeals, and homeless task force.

“If you’re going to be in city government, it’s important to see how everything works,” Swan said. 

Swan says that while she keeps tabs on local politicians, she wants to get on the council and have a vote.

“People reach out to me who want help with issues,” Swan said. “As a private citizen, I have to take those issues to the council. If I sat on the council, I could just take the ball and run with it.”

Both candidates are focused on hot-button issues this year like leaf collection.

“Leaf pickup is a big issue in town,” Socha said. “I’m dedicated to helping the city stay on top of that.”

Swan said she’s done extensive research into the issue and looked into how Jonesville and Jackson dispose of their leaves. 

“There are other options out there. A lot of the reason that I want to get on council is so I can help. I’ve been researching this since day one,” Swan said.

In addition to leaf collection, Socha is committed to keeping taxes low for the community.

“I’m opposed to permanent millage increases,” Socha said. “With the tendency of the government to grow, it’ll be my goal to keep Hillsdale going without a permanent tax increase.”

Swan picked up multiple endorsements from community figures. Local businessman David Hambleton, Pastor Mike Prince of the Nazarene Church, and Mayor Adam Stockford have all voiced support. 

In a post on his mayoral Facebook page, Mayor Stockford said that no one was more qualified than Swan for the council position.

“I haven’t always agreed with Penny on every issue, but I don’t need yes men (or women) on council, I need people who will demand accountability,” Stockford wrote on Facebook. “Penny is that person.”

Swan said residents should vote for her because of her dedication to the community. 

“I was born and raised in Hillsdale,” Swan said. “My heart is here. I’ve been going to city council meetings for years. I’m active in city government at every level.”  

Socha said he believes he will best represent Hillsdale’s interests.

“I love our town,” Socha said. “I have a vested interest and desire to continue to serve our city well, to help her enter into a new time of prosperity and growth.”