QUICK HITS: James Holleman

Home Features QUICK HITS: James Holleman
QUICK HITS: James Holleman
James Holleman’s secret talent is his skill at poker.
Courtesy | James Holleman

If you could personally attend one of the performances of any music composer throughout history, who would you choose? I would attend a concert in Vienna of a Beethoven symphony. Although I would have to say, too, if I could hear Ella Fitzgerald live, that would be amazing. If you could be in “Guinness World Records,”  which world record would you want to be known for? The most fish caught in one day. I am a fisherman. What is one memory from your childhood that stands out to you? My family always came up from east Tennessee to northern Michigan for vacation. That was the high point of every year. We would come up in August to Leelanau County on Lake Michigan. That’s become my favorite place in the world. What is one thing a lot of people don’t know about you? I’ve always been a fan of professional wrestling. It’s my guilty pleasure. Do you have any hidden talents? I don’t know how hidden they are. I’m a passionate chef. I’m also a skilled and experienced poker player. Have you ever met any celebrities? Yes. Margaret Thatcher, when the choir sang in Florida back in 2000. She came and spoke to the Chamber Choir after we performed. Another one is Dizzy Gillespie. When I was in college, I was backstage security and it was just the two of us while he was waiting to go on stage while the big band was playing other songs. We sat and had an amazing conversation. I’ve met others too, quite a few through the College and through my musical performances. What is one piece of advice you try to live by? Lead with kindness.Did you ever go through any interesting fashion phases? In college in the 80s I had an earring and a ponytail. When I was younger, in the 70s, the Kurt Russell feathered hair was popular at the time. Those are some that I can look back and laugh at. Who were some of your favorite musical artists when you were a teenager or young adult? I listened to so many different things, from classical to jazz to rock ’n’ roll. When I was in high school two of the concerts I went to were Kansas and the Doobie Brothers. I’ve always been a fan of operatic tenors like Pavarotti. I was able to hear Pavarotti live when I was in college and that was pretty spectacular. Who is one person you’ve always looked up to?My father and my mother. What is one memorable experience that changed your outlook on life? I had a book when I was a kid — the “Little Brute Family” by Russell Hoban. I read that over and over and over and it was about being kind to each other, saying please and thank you, and appreciating your family. It did impact me as I was growing up that I read that. What do you wish more people knew about you? If I were part of the “Star Trek” universe, I think I would be a Betazoid. What is one way you hope to impact your students? That music can be a part of their lives that is ongoing and that, at any skill level they are, they can continue with music and continue to grow.