People, Places, & Plates: Here’s To You Pub & Grub

Home City News People, Places, & Plates: Here’s To You Pub & Grub
An award Pub & Brub received in 2015 for best burger. Maggie Hroncich | Collegian

Do you ever want to grab a bite from somewhere new? Are you interested in learning about the food culture of the Hillsdale area? Join me as I adventure to nearby restaurants to learn about the people, places, and plates that make up the community.

It’s October 1st, and to any fellow fall-lovers out there, it’s cause for celebration. Look no further than the Oktoberfest specials starting next Monday at Hillsdale’s “Here’s To You Pub & Grub.” 

The past few weeks the restaurant offered various fair foods in the absence of the Hillsdale County Fair, such as mini elephant ears with icing. Next week, they will begin serving October specials, including authentic German food and two imported German beers on draft. 

I had a chance to visit Pub & Grub this week for lunch — although as a minor, I only could partake in the “grub” side of the restaurant. The food surpassed my expectations – crispy onion rings, loaded tots and fries, and mouthwatering burgers. The menu also included gluten-free buns and vegan meat substitutes for those with food sensitivities. 

Winner of WCSR’s Best Burger in Hillsdale 2020 award, as well as #1 Chili Cheese Fries in Michigan by MLive in 2017, the local pub is known for satisfying its customer’s appetites.

“It’s the best burger in town, hands down,” said customer and Hillsdale College alumnus Abe Dane. 

Owner Kevin Conant, who opened the restaurant in 2010, said he loves both the community and the experience.

“The people who come in are my favorite part,” he said. “I also enjoy our specials and getting to make a lot of unique food.”