Parents and football players tailgate after home games at Hillsdale College. Jo Kroeker | Col­legian

Despite many campus events being can­celed or post­poned due to COVID-19, Parents’ Weekend is still set to take place Oct. 16 – 18.

As of Wednesday, there are 11 active pos­itive cases of coro­n­avirus on campus and 129 stu­dents are cur­rently in iso­lation. Four addi­tional stu­dents have COVID-19 symptoms and are awaiting test results. The rise in cases caused the Student Activ­ities Board to cancel Garden Party, orig­i­nally set for this Friday, and Car­nival in the Arb, which was set to replace Garden Party. 

But Cheryl Clawson, exec­utive assistant to the director of parent rela­tions, said the college does not intend to cancel Parents’ Weekend pro­gramming.  

“We are still holding Parents’ Weekend per the directive of senior staff,” Clawson said. 

Clawson said the college is taking pre­cau­tions to ensure a safe weekend. Attendees will have their tem­per­ature checked before entering any events throughout the weekend, and no student club tables will be allowed during the parent-teacher con­fer­ences. Stu­dents will be allowed to attend both the mixer and lun­cheon, but the events will take place in dif­ferent venues than usual. 

“We have been moving our events to loca­tions that can accom­modate larger groups for social dis­tancing such as the mixer and lunch in Biermann,” Clawson said. 

Sim­i­larly, the President’s Club reception, usually at Broadlawn, will be held in the McNamara Recital Hall. The parent phonathon will remain in the Call Center as usual, as it is equipped for social dis­tancing.

“We have 17 parent callers,” Clawson said. “The new exec­utive order as of last week will allow 20 people indoors for groups.”

Paul Esposito, pres­ident of Delta Tau Delta, said his fra­ternity usually holds an event for parents to see the house and meet the brothers each Parents’ Weekend. But this year, he said he isn’t sure if the group will hold the event. 

“The dif­fi­culty is not only COVID, but whether the number of parents coming would justify the event,” Esposito said. “There are some parents who haven’t even decided if they’re coming to Parents Weekend, which com­pli­cates the planning further.” 

Even with the uncer­tainty about how many parents will be attending, the college does not intend to delay Parents’ Weekend. 

“We have no plans to change the date to a later time,” Clawson said.