Hillsdale College | Col­legian

As fall break approaches, more than 70 stu­dents have been released from quar­antine and only 35 remain in contact iso­lation. 

There are four active cases of COVID-19 among stu­dents on campus and 17 resolved cases, according to a statement made by the college on Wednesday morning. There are two stu­dents in iso­lation cur­rently awaiting test results. 

With the majority of cases resolved and many quar­an­tines com­pleted this last week, Director of Health and Wellness Brock Lutz said stu­dents must remain diligent regarding their health, espe­cially during fall break.

We are not requiring stu­dents to remain on campus for fall or Thanks­giving breaks, but we have been encour­aging it in order to avoid an increase in trans­mis­sions,” Lutz said. 

Although the college has always remained open for fall break in the past, it has required stu­dents to leave campus for other holiday breaks. Dining halls and student res­i­dences typ­i­cally close during long breaks, but this year, due to student concern about leaving campus, the school is keeping dorms and the Knorr Family Dining Room open over Thanks­giving break. 

“We have had a good number of stu­dents asking if they can stay,” Lutz said. “The college is making accom­mo­da­tions for that to work.”

For fall break this week, Knorr Dining Hall will operate under limited hours, but will still be open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. According to a newsletter sent by the Student Activ­ities Office, AJ’s Cafe  and all Grab’N’Go loca­tions will be closed over fall break.

Over the break, stu­dents will still have access to health ser­vices, according to the newsletter. While no in-person doctor or nurse will be on campus Thursday or Friday, on-call nurses will be available throughout the week, a resource Asso­ciate Dean of Women Rebekah Dell said she hopes stu­dents will use.

“If ill, it is important to con­tinue to notify health ser­vices, practice good hygiene, and remain dutiful in avoiding any unnec­essary oppor­tu­nities for exposure or sharing germs,” Dell said in an email.

Addi­tionally, stu­dents are encouraged to visit either Jonesville Health Care Plus or the Hillsdale Health and Wellness walk-in health clinics if they feel sick.

Dor­mi­tories and dining options will be available over Thanks­giving break, as well.

“Stu­dents are encouraged to remain on campus to reduce oppor­tu­nities for exposure to the virus and increase the per­sonal chance of getting sick and the potential spread on campus,” Dell said. “We are encouraged by the response from the college com­munity to take actions that will help slow the spread of the virus and the resulting lower pos­itive cases this past week.”