ATO is ready for the first event of the year | Col­legian

The first all-campus Greek event of the year, OcTAUberfest, will take place during Parents’ Weekend this Sat­urday at Hillsdale’s Beta Kappa chapter of the Alpha Tau Omega fra­ternity.

“I think that emo­tionally, COVID-19 has taken a big toll on all of us stu­dents,” said senior Matthew Pfeifer, a member of ATO. “OcTAUberfest is the perfect event to lift our spirits and cel­e­brate our awesome college with the great people who attend it.”

The fall-themed event is for stu­dents, faculty, and family. The event will take place on the side lawn of the ATO house from 7 —  10 p.m. Sat­urday, Oct. 17. 

Junior and ATO Public Rela­tions Chairman Andrew Szewc said the fra­ternity is excited to host one of the first Greek-spon­sored, all-campus social events of the year.

“I’m looking forward to it,” Szewc said. “I think this is a great oppor­tunity for under­classmen to meet people inside and outside of the Greek system. I think that’s a huge part of ATO — not secluding our­selves to Greeks only, but opening up and cre­ating an atmos­phere for people to meet.”

Junior Har­rison Baer said com­munity out­reach is a main reason why ATO decided to host the event. 

“I believe it’s important to have com­munity in this time of uncer­tainty,” Baer said. “This is parent’s weekend, so we want to focus more on the campus family instead of just the broth­erhood.”

Szewc said ATO has been mindful of COVID-19 restric­tions and pro­ce­dures in planning the event. He said the fra­ternity feels that at this time, the event poses little risk to campus.

“This will be our first campus-wide event of the semester and as we’ve been planning this, we found it was an appro­priate time to host this event,” Szewc said. “The deans have been in the loop of this process entirely since about a month ago and have been instru­mental in the planning of it.”

One way ATO will do this is by holding the event out­doors.

“It’s going to be in the ATO parking lot,” Szewc said. “Also, the event will be fenced off so that you have to come through a check­point. Masks will be required and food will be pro­vided safely.”

Pfeifer said the fra­ternity members spent a long time planning for this event to make sure it would be safe for attendees. Pfeifer said he’s excited to see their hard work pay off this weekend. 

“All the Brothers of ATO are very excited to host this event. We would love to meet the parents, faculty, and stu­dents who plan on attending,” Pfeifer said. “So, if you’re feeling that inescapable Autumn urge to sip hot apple cider and paint pumpkins to the tune of live music, come on down to the house.