Business in Hillsdale During COVID-19: Handmade Sandwiches

Home City News Business in Hillsdale During COVID-19: Handmade Sandwiches
The storefront of Handmade, which is now open after COVID-19 related closures from the Governor’s Office Kali Dalrymple | Collegian

Handmade continues to thrive despite the ongoing pandemic. 

Owner Derek Spiteri said the sandwich shop on Hillsdale Street weathered the initial shutdown in March without any cuts to the staff. Handmade offered takeout throughout Michigan’s initial shutdown, although indoor seating closed abruptly in March to comply with Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s executive orders.  

“It’s hard to have this shaky foundation,” Spiteri said. “The executive order went live at 3 p.m., and at 2:50 p.m. I received a letter. I actually found out about the shutdown on the news before I got an official notice.” 

The number of customers visiting the store dropped in mid-March, according to Spiteri, but has slowly increased since then. Business continued to improve after Hillsdale College’s graduation ceremony in July and traffic has essentially returned to normal since then.  

“Earlier in the pandemic, we missed some of the office lunch outings, but now all of our regulars are back,” Spiteri said. “I think if we lived in a more heavily-impacted area, people would be treading a lot more lightly.”

Handmade reopened its indoor seating when the governor lifted restrictions on restaurants in mid-April, Spiteri said. Many customers returned to dine-in seating over time as individuals began to venture out of their homes.  

Tom Melville, an avid supporter of Handmade, said he appreciated how the store remained open throughout the pandemic.

“I love Handmade, and I’m glad they stayed open and served their community,” Melville said.  “Their sandwiches are amazing, and it’s nice to have a home restaurant with a unique twist on different types of sandwiches. I’m a customer for life.” 

Jonah Wisneski, a sophomore at Hillsdale College, said he loves the sandwiches and atmosphere at Handmade.

“I order the same thing every time I go, and I’m always impressed by how good the food tastes and how affordable everything is,” Wisneski said. 

Spiteri said customer behavior has returned to normal since the beginning of the pandemic as well. Many people returned to old habits after the coronavirus faded into the regular routine of life.

“When this all began, many customers would wash their hands right away before eating their food,” Spiteri said. “Now, for better or worse, people aren’t doing that as much.” 

Although Handmade experienced slower business at the beginning of the pandemic, Spiteri said many of the store’s regular customers have started dining in again.

“Once the governor started to change the executive order to close certain sections of big-box stores, that was a turning point for a lot of people,” Spiteri said. “We take risks every day, from driving the car to leaving our house. It’s not the government’s job to monitor our lives.”

As many local stores continue to struggle in Hillsdale, individuals at Handmade said they felt grateful to be able to continue their business.

“It’s a shame that so many stores had to close,” Spiteri said. “Hillsdale used to be a walking town, but as more stores go away, the less charm there is to downtown. We’re thankful for the customers and college students who support us.”