You are staring at a long list of assign­ments, papers, and exams, all of which have fast approaching dead­lines. You are stressed, over­whelmed and don’t know how to proceed. Well, take a deep breath and keep reading to dis­cover some helpful tips. 

1. Make a List 

Now is the time to reread the syl­labus  you received at the beginning of the semester. Note the important dates of any major assign­ments for each class – pre­sen­ta­tions, papers, and exams. Listing these in order of the closest due date will allow you to visu­alize the amount of time left to com­plete each and ensure you will have plenty of time to study.

2. Set a Timeline

Look for busy or hectic back-to-back weeks. Thinking about what assign­ments can be done ahead of time will help you avoid the dreaded night of studying for three exams and writing two papers. The earlier you start your assign­ments, the better you will feel on your most homework-heavy weeks.

3. Establish a Per­sonal Plan 

Everyone handles important assign­ments dif­fer­ently. In general, it can be helpful to plan two weeks out from a deadline. During the first week, you focus on catching up on any last-minute reading and under­standing of harder con­cepts. In the second week, start preparing an outline for a paper or com­piling a study guide for an exam. Your thoughts on the class will be already orga­nized, and you can focus on the assignment at hand. 

4. Form Last Minute Study Habits

Planning ahead and being orga­nized is won­derful, but some­times time flies by and a big exam is only a few days away. Stay calm and focus on the task at hand. Start by reviewing all class notes and dividing them into infor­mation that can be read through versus infor­mation that needs to be mem­o­rized, such as facts and dates. This way you can mem­orize peri­od­i­cally between re-reading the basic infor­mation or working through tech­nical practice problems. Also, try cre­ating study guides that you can use while working through con­ceptual problems. You can review these notes right before bed and before the exam.

5. Learn from Failure

Not everyone is always happy with the paper they turned in or feels 100% con­fident with a test that they took. That is per­fectly alright. It is important to evaluate what parts of your study process went well and where you can improve for the next major assignment.