Hillsdale stu­dents joined Pulliam Fellow Chris Bedford for a field trip to the Trump rally in Toledo this week. Eliz­abeth Troutman | Collegian

Pres­ident Trump promised thou­sands of sup­porters at a rally on Monday that he would “fill that seat” on the Supreme Court with a female nominee. 

Speaking at the Eugene F. Kranz Toledo Express Airport, he pledged to make an announcement this Friday or Sat­urday on his can­didate to replace Ruth Bader Ginsberg, the liberal justice who died last Friday. 

“We’re looking at five incredible jurists, five incredible people, women that are extra­or­dinary in every way,” Trump said.

Abortion and the future of Roe v. Wade was on the minds of many at the rally. 

“The amount of unborn children that have died in this year, this is an atrocity,” said Susy Henry of Ottawa Lake, Michigan. “Any time that we are sac­ri­ficing the blood of our innocent children, things in this country won’t get better. Things need to change.” 

Trump raised shouts of support as he talked about the 300 federal judges and two Supreme Court jus­tices he has seen con­firmed. Trump said he looks forward to nom­i­nating a third. 

Trump, who announced a list of potential judges on Sep­tember 9, bashed Biden’s refusal to publish his list of potential Supreme Court nominees.

“If Joe Biden and the Democrats take power, they will pack the Supreme Court with far left rad­icals who will uni­lat­erally transform American society far beyond recog­nition,” Trump said.

“They want to ban all prayer in public schools and require tax­payers to fund extreme late term abortion,” Trump said. “Biden’s jus­tices will erase national borders, they don’t want borders, protect sanc­tuary cities, and compel the unlimited entry of foreign nationals.”

The pres­ident also mocked renewed threats by con­gres­sional Democrats to impeach him. 

“Now they want to impeach me again if I nom­inate somebody as I’m con­sti­tu­tionally obligated to do, to serve on the Supreme Court of the United States,” Trump said.

Trump also crit­i­cized Demo­c­ratic responses to urban riots and the coro­n­avirus pan­demic and denounced Biden’s position on many social issues.

Trump con­cluded the rally by recapping his accom­plish­ments since he was sworn in less than four years ago. He dis­cussed ending the North American Free Trade Agreement, building a wall along the border with Mexico, boosting natural gas pro­duction, investing $1.5 trillion in the United States mil­itary, and demol­ishing the Islamic State ter­rorist group. 

The pres­ident promised his Mid­western audience he would boost man­u­fac­turing in the next four years. 

Ohio is a major bat­tle­ground state in the 2020 election. A Civiqs poll places the pres­ident three points ahead of Biden in Ohio. In 2016, Trump won all 18 of Ohio’s elec­toral votes, though he lost to Demo­c­ratic nominee Hillary Rodham Clinton in Lucas County, which includes Toledo. 

This year, however, eyes will be on Wood County, a swing county that is a good signal for how the state of Ohio will vote. With its tra­di­tional labor and rural roots, the Trump cam­paign has set its sights on this city of more than 270,000 res­i­dents. Sup­porters at the rally res­onated with the key issues of the cam­paign: trade treaties, law and order, and abortion. 

“I’ve never voted Repub­lican until Trump, and I never want to vote Democrat again,” said WIlliam Sel­lards, a mil­itary veteran from Ohio. 

Sup­porters from across the region came to see the pres­ident at the rally, where Trump men­tioned his fondness for Ohio several times.

“I love you, you love me, and that’s the way it is,” Trump said.