Students to sell handcrafts at Maker’s Mart

Home Culture Students to sell handcrafts at Maker’s Mart
A student sells handmade earrings during the 2019 Maker’s Mart.
Courtesy | Claire Lupini

While many students delight in stepping off campus to enjoy the farmers’ markets of Hillsdale and Ann Arbor, this Saturday the experience is coming to the Chapel Plaza.

The Student Activities Board is hosting Maker’s Mart, an event formembers of the Hillsdale College community to come together to buy and sell hand-crafted goods. This is one of SAB’s most popular events, according to organizer Claire Lupini.

“I think the appeal is that there are a lot of talented students on campus and for students to be able to see their peer’s talents and then for students to show off their talents is really gratifying and exciting,” Lupini said. “I think it’s why events like this or like Concert on the Quad are so successful, because ultimately students want to support their peers and see different talents come alive.”

SAB provides sellers with a table and a tablecloth, but the displays are left completely up to the entrepreneurs. There will be 19 different booths to browse.

“Our vision for the event is exactly like a farmers’ market,” Lupini said. “We are having it on the Chapel Plaza to make it feel like an enclosed market. We really want students to be walking to brunch and then all of a sudden get swept up in this market where they can’t help but look around and enjoy everything that is for sale.”

Sophomore Grace Cool will have a booth to sell art prints of Central Hall and St. Anthony’s Catholic Church, along with stickers and handmade rosaries.

“I’m most excited to sell these things in person,” Cool said. “I’ve been selling stickers and my art through Redbubble for the past few months, but I’ve never had a chance to sell in person. I’m really looking forward to what people have to say and to actually interact with the people who buy my art.”

Junior Abby Burns did not attend the event last year, but heard through word of mouth that it was worth going to.

“I’m looking forward to seeing all the different creative outlets that my classmates have,” she said. “It’s great that there’s a way to support them in their hobbies.”