Six active COVID-19 cases confirmed

Home News Homepage - News Six active COVID-19 cases confirmed
Six active COVID-19 cases confirmed
Hillsdale has confirmed multiple active cases of COVID-19. Carmel Kookogey | Collegian

Hillsdale College reported six active COVID-19 cases on campus Wednesday. Forty-three students are in quarantine after coming in direct contact with a positive case, eight of whom are symptomatic and isolating as they await test results. 

Of the 125 students who have been tested since Aug. 26, 118 students have tested negative for COVID-19. Seven students have tested positive. 

Of the seven positive cases, one student recovered and has been released from isolation while the other six remain in quarantine. Administrators believe the spread has been limited to two friend groups. 

The college said in the statement that it will continue to monitor students who have been in close contact with positive cases and health officials will recommend quarantine and self-isolation in accordance with CDC guidelines. 

Dean of Men Aaron Petersen said so far, the college’s testing strategy has met expectations and that contact tracing remains effective.

“The college’s approach will remain testing those with symptoms, unless there is a reason or recommendation to change,” Petersen said in an email.

Since the first positive case was reported on Sept. 16, more students have reported symptoms and requested tests. 

Freshman Rosemary Surdyke felt ill for three days before consulting a staff member to determine if she should get tested.

“I went to my dorm mom, Rachel Marinko, after being sick for three days, because my roommate had been sick the weekend before I got sick,” Surdyke said. “So I thought that it was just that, but then I was sick. Rachel asked me what my symptoms were, then told me to call the Health Center to potentially test.”

Surdyke took her dorm mom’s advice and called a nurse at the Ambler Health and Wellness Center, who told her she needed a test. 

“As soon as they told me that I needed to get tested, they said I would be put in quarantine until I got my test results back,” Surdyke said. “They told me if I was positive, I would have to stay there.”

Although Surdyke tested negative for COVID-19, she said the school made a good judgement call in quarantining her and said she fully supports quarantining students while they await test results. 

“I definitely think that my quarantine was justified,” Surdyke said. “I would hate to get anybody sick. The symptoms of COVID-19 are so broad that it’s hard to know if you have it or don’t have it, especially during this time of year whenever everybody’s getting sick.”

Director of Health and Wellness Brock Lutz said he’s seen many students like Surdyke who are happy to comply with the college’s guidelines and that students are responding well to the situation. 

“I have been very overwhelmed by how positive and how cooperative students have been in this whole process, even when we tell them they have to be quarantined for 14 days,” Lutz said. “To me, it’s another way students show that they’re thoughtful and conscientious. It makes me very proud of our students. They’re doing whatever they can do.”