The Hilltop Creamery is one of Hillsdale County’s hidden trea­sures. Maggie Hroncich | Col­legian

Do you ever want to grab a bite from some­where new? Are you inter­ested in learning about the food culture of the Hillsdale area? Join me as I adventure to nearby restau­rants to learn about the people, places, and plates that make up the com­munity.

Bubble tea, locally-sourced food, gluten and dairy-free options – sounds like a trendy urban bistro. But this is the menu offered at The Hilltop Creamery, located just five miles away from campus.

During one of my daily ice cream cravings, I was delighted to stumble upon this up-and-coming spot. This October marks the one-year anniversary of the creamery, which is located in what was for­merly Spangler’s Family Restaurant. Both have the same owner, and the diner moved just down the street.

The staff was extremely friendly and told me they are open year-round to “keep summer fun all year.” They accom­modate a variety of food, offering tra­di­tional soft serve and hand-dipped ice cream, but also Dole Whip, Italian ice, and Bursting Boba. Lunch and dinner options include sand­wiches, hoagies, and hotdogs. The manager noted they source their meat from Michigan as much as pos­sible.

“If you use fresh beef, you feel better,” she said. 

So next time you need a study break, treat yourself to a trip to the Hilltop Creamery. There’s some­thing there for everyone.