Stu­dents par­tic­i­pated in a yoga class at the Col­le­giate Country Club event last Sat­urday. Carmel Kookogey | Col­legian

“Country club Repub­lican” is not a new term to most Hillsdale stu­dents, yet many have not actually been to a country club. That is, until the Student Activity Board’s Col­le­giate Country Club event at Hayden Park last Sat­urday. 

Though SAB orig­i­nally planned to take stu­dents on a trip to Lake Michigan last Sat­urday, senior and SAB small team event leader Claire Lupini said after the coro­n­avirus hit, SAB decided it would be wiser to stay on campus.

“We still wanted to give people an oppor­tunity to go some­place dif­ferent, though,” Lupini said. “Someone said ‘country club’ and it just worked out really well.”

The event, held in col­lab­o­ration with Campus Rec on from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at Hayden Park, con­sisted of yard game com­pe­ti­tions, with T‑shirts as prizes, and a golf cart cir­cling the park to transport people from event to event. Other stu­dents played sand vol­leyball, while a table laden with sparkling water and prepackaged snacks stood near the house. 

It was sunny and a breezy 75 degrees at 1:30 p.m. on Sat­urday and small clusters of three and four people scat­tered throughout the yard to play spike ball, disc golf, and cornhole, while others com­peted for the longest drive on the driving range and a handful of girls joined sophomore Alex Mulet in an outdoor yoga session. 

“I’ve never been to a country club, but I think this is how it would be,” senior Charity Tyne said after the yoga session fin­ished. “I like that this is outside.”

Tyne said she had come out to Hayden to help Campus Rec set up the yard games, but decided to stay when she saw the yoga class beginning. 

“The yoga was amazing. Ten out of ten would rec­ommend,” Tyne said.

What is it about a country club that’s so appealing? Is there some­thing intrin­si­cally good, true, and beau­tiful in stacks of green-and-white striped pool towels and the quiet murmur of civ­i­lized recre­ational activity and mem­bership fees? For attendees of Saturday’s event, it was simply a chill way to spend a beau­tiful Sep­tember afternoon and maybe make a new friend or two.

Campus Rec chose to col­lab­orate with SAB for a more laid-back event so new stu­dents could have a chance to get to know one another, according to Director of Intra­mural Sports Brett Anger, a senior.

“We thought it would be fun to have backyard games because at the beginning of the year, you’re getting to know people,” Anger said. “This is an event where you can talk to other people.”

It was SAB which brought the country club aes­thetic, Anger said.

“Campus Rec usually does more com­pet­itive stuff, and then SAB knows how to make things look good,” Anger said. “They bring the country club vibe with the dec­o­ra­tions. They even have a golf cart shut­tling people around.”

The golf cart was a favorite — espe­cially for sophomore Josh Rainer, who attended the event and par­tic­i­pated in the cornhole tour­nament. When asked if the event felt like a country club, Rainer said “absolutely.”

“Whenever you have a bev­erage cart going around, it feels like a country club,” Rainer said. 

Rainer’s friend, junior Shane Cenk, asked how many country clubs Rainer has been to, to which Rainer responded “a few.”

For senior Warren Bartlett, it was the sparkling water that sealed the deal.

“They’ve got La Croix,” Bartlett said. “So yes, it feels like a country club.”