Princeton Review ranked the Col­legian fifth in the nation.

The Hillsdale Col­legian ranks fifth nationally in the 2020 Princeton Review ranking of Best College News­paper. 

Despite dropping from its third place ranking from last year, the Col­legian still earned an impressive honor, ranking in the top 20 college news­papers in the country. 

Hillsdale was out­ranked by Syracuse Uni­versity, Ithaca College, Rice Uni­versity, and Columbia Uni­versity respec­tively. 

Former Col­legian Editor-in-Chief Nolan Ryan had nothing but praise for the recent ranking. 

“It is incredible for a student news­paper at a small, liberal arts college to be in the top five in the country,” Ryan said. “The edi­torial staff and writers worked hard to produce good content for our readers, both on and off campus.”

While the Col­legian is not men­tioned in many other national rankings, the Princeton Review is known for being one of the most pres­ti­gious and credible rankings. 

Nicole Ault ‘19 served as the Col­legian editor-in-chief from 2018 – 2019. She is now an assistant edi­torial page editor at the Wall Street Journal. 

“It’s won­derful to see the Col­legian maintain its high Princeton ranking,” Ault said. “This is a sign of the hard work of the editors and writers and their ability to provide reporting that adds value to campus.”

Hillsdale earned high marks in other cat­e­gories as well, placing  third for Most Engaged in Com­munity Service and fif­teenth for Best-Run Col­leges. 

“I am proud of last year’s staff because, after all, it is the cama­raderie between editors and reporters that really drives the paper’s success,” Ryan added. “I am con­fident that the Col­legian will con­tinue to be ranked among the best college news­papers.”