Gordmans is closing its doors Sept. 27. Courtesy | Joshua Newhook

Gordmans Department Store will offi­cially close its doors on Sep. 27th. Gordmans, part of the now-bankrupt Stages Stores, offers off-price clothing, jewelry, and houseware items at its 280 West Carlton Road location adjacent to Kroger’s.

Store Manager Tina Reitz says sale mark­downs at the already dis­count store are only increasing as the closing day arrives. “Every­thing is on sale 50 – 70% off cur­rently,” she said.  “All has to go.”

The closing is part of the liq­ui­dation of Stage Stores after filing for Chapter 11 bank­ruptcy on May 11th. 595 stores closed on Aug. 29 and the rest of their loca­tions will soon follow, leaving none remaining.

Sur­pris­ingly, this came after a massive opening of over 150 Gordmans across the country in 2019, including the Hillsdale location, which opened on Sep­tember 17, 2019. At the time, Stage Stores’ goal was to have 700 Gordmans stores in 42 states by the end of 2020.

It is unclear if the Coro­n­avirus had any­thing to do with the shutdown, but Reitz believes it has some part in it. 

“We spec­u­lated a little about the closing before the virus came,” Reitz said. “But COVID was the icing on the cake. It sealed the deal.”

The store was closed for a long time during the pan­demic. “We closed at the end of March and were closed for about 3 months,” Super­visor Kiley Keser said.

With no buyouts on the table, workers at the store will be laid off after the closing. 

Reitz is uncertain about her plans after closing. 

“Maybe I’ll take some time off before starting a new job,” she said. 

But the loss extends beyond just workers. The towns­people will miss Gordmans as well.

Tami Brackman, who has peri­od­i­cally shopped at the store since its inception a year ago, is dis­ap­pointed about its closing. “I’m very sad about it,” she said. “It’s a shame.”

When asked where she will shop instead, she didn’t have another location in mind. “Nowhere around here,” she said. “There is nowhere else like this around.”