Class of 2024 breaks previous academic records

Home News Homepage - News Class of 2024 breaks previous academic records
President of Hillsdale College Larry Arnn in his academic regalia at a commencement ceremony.

This year’s freshman class is the most accomplished in Hillsdale’s history with an average ACT score of 31 and average GPA of 3.9, according to preliminary statistics.

The class of 2024 is unique in more ways than one. Out-of-state students comprise 71% of freshmen, while 27% are Michiganders and 2% are international students. Last year, 29% of students were from Michigan. Interestingly, the incoming class includes 192 men and 172 women at a time when many colleges and universities across the country are dominated by female students.

Hillsdale’s admissions this year rate also dropped to 36.08%, another all-time low. 

According to admissions counselor Zachary Miller, the increased competition could be attributed to Hillsdale’s commitment to its principles as other colleges abandon the Western tradition.

“Hillsdale’s mission and what we stand for continue to be something different than what most colleges offer,” Miller said. “The more we stand rooted in the idea of classical liberal arts and the principles of the Western tradition, and as fewer colleges stand for those things, I think Hillsdale is certainly going to attract students who believe in those things.”

Freshmen Addison Longenecker and Gillian Ruch said they had no idea that their class is the highest achieving in the college’s history. 

“It’s exciting to be part of a big group of people who want to excel so much and who are excited to learn,” Longenecker said. “I’m very excited to learn from professors who are the best and brightest in their fields, and just to get to see their wisdom.”

Ruch said she hoped her class’s brainpower would lead to lots of interesting discussions. 

“I’m hoping it’ll foster more dialogue and that we’ll sharpen each other,” she said. “Hillsdale seems like a place with good conversations. The people seem really neat and it seems like the people here have interests, and it’s sometimes hard to find people who are interested in anything these days.” 

Despite the record-breaking admissions rate, Miller said that the kind of student Hillsdale seeks to attract hasn’t changed. 

“We continue to attract students from all across the country who have a diverse range of interests and talents and passions, which has not changed in many years,” he said. “They all share a strong academic ability and curiosity. They all share a desire and willingness to be involved on campus and in our community, and they all share a commitment to the school’s mission and the school’s honor code. Those things haven’t changed.”