Graphic by Cal Abbo

While campus remains closed because of the COVID-19 pan­demic, the springtime tra­dition of con­vo­cation at Hillsdale College con­tinued, albeit in a near-empty Christ Chapel and streamed live online.

During the livestream, held at 11 a.m. on April 23, College Pres­ident Larry Arnn addressed the current state of the college in this unprece­dented time. Arnn noted that he and the pro­cession of aca­demic deans and Chaplain Adam Rick were keeping six feet apart. 

The all-school GPA for the fall semester was 3.385. The all-women’s GPA was 3.484, and the all-men’s average was 3.293. Pi Beta Phi won the Greek schol­arship cup for soror­ities with a GPA of 3.518, while Sigma Chi won for the fra­ter­nities with a 3.246 average.

Pro­fessor of History David Stewart received the Daugherty Award for Teaching Excel­lence during the event. Stewart was not present, due to state restric­tions on gath­erings, and Arnn pre­sented the award to Dean of Faculty and Chair of History Mark Kalthoff.

In an email to The Col­legian, Kalthoff said Stewart deserved the Daugherty as an acknowl­edgement of his career.

“A remarkably devoted, tal­ented, and hard working col­league, he con­sis­tently teaches extra classes, develops new courses, and tire­lessly con­tributes to the efforts of the history department,” Kalthoff said. “His ongoing work in the devel­opment of Museum Studies and Public History stands as just one example of many. His focus upon cul­ti­vating stu­dents and chal­lenging them to think about how to engage with history is exem­plary.”

Lee Ann Baron, pro­fessor of chem­istry and the 2019 pro­fessor of the year, addressed the college in a pre-recorded video. YouTube

The top 10 seniors of the Class of 2020 were announced during the event. Listed alpha­bet­i­cally, they are: Sarah Becker, Natalie Bodnar, Jessica Chen, Emma Clifton, Nathaniel Gipe, Olivia Mulley, Sydney SanJuan, Hannah Stevenson, Gabriella VanAken, and Caitlin Weighner.

Lee Ann Baron, pro­fessor of chem­istry and 2019’s pro­fessor of the year, gave an address titled “It Matters!” She empha­sized the impor­tance of stu­dents’ efforts, even as classes have been moved online.

“For those of you who will not be returning in the fall, our seniors, remember the impor­tance of these ideas, con­cepts, and rela­tion­ships that chal­lenge and help you grow in your time at Hillsdale,” she said.

Reporter Regan Meyer con­tributed to this report.