A sketch of the “Welcome to His­toric Hillsdale” mural, coming in Sep­tember 2020. The mural is a project of the Her­itage Asso­ci­ation of Hillsdale, Michigan. Courtesy | Connie Sexton

The Her­itage Asso­ci­ation of Hillsdale is holding a fundraiser event called “Quar­ter­mania” on March 21 to raise money for its 2020 “Welcome to His­toric Hillsdale” Mural Project. The 100 available tickets are on sale now for $10 at 55 N. Broad St. 

The Her­itage Asso­ci­ation will be auc­tioning off more than 85 items, including $500 chan­de­liers, Fitbits, Echo Dots, designer purses, artwork, and more.  

“I am most excited about the evening because it brings the com­munity together for a great evening of fun,” Connie Sexton, the exec­utive director of The Her­itage Asso­ci­ation, said. “We not only raise money for a great cause but we give back by offering top-notch quality items to be won. With only a 100-person seating capacity and over 85 auction items and some give­aways, everyone should go home a winner.”

The Her­itage Asso­ci­ation of Hillsdale began several years ago when Heather Tritchka, the co-founder, headed up the project for the Winona statue that now stands in Mrs. Stock’s Park. The com­munity responded pos­i­tively and loved the idea of bringing more artwork to Hillsdale, which then spurred the Her­itage Asso­ci­ation to form and keep working on projects. 

Tritchka said that people throughout Hillsdale have vol­un­teered to help with the projects, which keeps the cost down and makes them pos­sible. 

“Everyone just jumps in and wants to help,” Tritchka said.  

The idea for the “Welcome to His­toric Hillsdale” mural came from Richard Moore of Moore Insurance when he asked The Her­itage Asso­ci­ation if it would be inter­ested in doing a mural on the side of his building that is visible above Hillsdale Jew­elers. 

The Her­itage Asso­ci­ation was happy to do it and con­tacted John Castellese, a local artist, to design the mural. The asso­ci­ation then con­tacted Wes Hardin, a renowned muralist who painted the train mural on Manning Street and asked him to make the mural. 

“He was very excited to come back and work in Hillsdale again,” Tritchka said. 

The mural will cost about $17,000. Hardin is pro­jected to start painting Sept. 8, 2020, according to Tritchka. Depending on the weather, Sexton said, the mural should take about one week to paint. The mural will also have lights on it to make it visible at night.