Jeff Lantis, Paul Mackey and Mike Gatt flex their muscles for the southern girls. Courtesy | Col­legian Archives

Spring break is a long-honored college tra­dition, including in The Col­legian archives. 

On March 14, 1985, The Col­legian ran an article titled, “Spring break mania hits the Dale.” Reporter Lisa LeMoal wrote, “With cries of ‘I’ve got to lose 10 lbs!’ And ‘I need $200 NOW!’, one can be sure that Hillsdale’s spring break is rapidly approaching.” 

I’ll be honest, I have cried more about midterms than either of these issues, but I guess I can under­stand these stu­dents’ pain. 

LeMoal con­tinued, “While popular spring break par­adise seems to be Florida, stu­dents also are choosing more unusual places. For example, seniors Bridget Bowden and Margie Jacobs are dashing off to the Bahamas while sopho­mores Bob Philips and Rob Warner are spending the week in Europe.”

However, according to LeMoal, choosing a spring break location is only half the battle. 

She wrote, “Once you’ve decided where you’re going, how you’re going to get there, and who’s going to pay for it, your worries aren’t over yet. Senior Linda Mancuso and junior Christa Beardsley explained, ‘Our biggest fright is that we won’t get tan because we’ll spend too much time at Penrod’s drinking 25 cent drafts during happy hour!’”

Between the exor­bitant prices and unavoidable nature of this problem, I can’t help but share in the girls’ dev­as­tation. 

LeMoal ends her article with this warning: “Pro­fessors also don’t want you to come back with sand between the pages of your text; it causes an absolute mess in the classroom.” 

One year later, The Col­legian echoed the spring break ideas pre­sented by LeMoal and pub­lished an article titled, “Forget Those Books! Tan Preser­vation Ranks First” on April 3, 1986. 

All these spring break oppor­tu­nities can be credited to a group of stu­dents who peti­tioned to extend spring break in 1971. 

A March 24, 1971, Col­legian article read, “Hillsdale College recently approved a rec­om­men­dation that spring break be extended. The extra day should be attributed to the efforts of Bob Nusholtz and Bob Anton, who saw a necessity for change in the cal­endar and acted upon it. Their action demon­strated how con­cerned stu­dents, working through the right channels, can accom­plish felt changes.” 

I have never felt so inspired in my life. I’m about to start a petition to add these two char­acters to the Liberty Walk up the hill. 

The Col­legian describes how Nusholtz and Anton accom­plished this victory: “On Wednesday, March 3, both Nusholtz and Anton went to Dean Hendee and asked how a change of dates could be imple­mented. The Dean ‘sug­gested the pos­si­bility of a petition’, which the two stu­dents then drew up.” 

The article con­tinues, “By Monday afternoon when the peti­tions were handed into Dean Munn’s office, 526 sig­na­tures had been obtained.” 

The Col­legian reported, “Reaction by the student body was on the whole, very favorable.” 

In other news, the sky is still blue. 

In addition to giving a history of Hillsdale spring breaks, The Col­legian also offered advice for spring breakers. 

On March 23, 1978, The Col­legian read, “It would be 90% accurate to assume that if you are reading this article you are not planning to spend your Spring Break in Florida. You are probably getting psyched to sit around the house and do absolutely nothing.” 

This is stun­ningly accurate 40 years later.

The author offers several inter­esting ways to avoid wasting the time at home. 

“Sew on buttons, wash sweaters and get winter clothes ready for retirement.” 

As exciting as this sounds, I will probably stick to another classic sug­gestion: “Write post­cards from your town, the ‘Greetings from Podunk’ type to all your friends in Florida.” 

As the campus departs, we can only hope to have spring breaks that will make it into the news­paper for future gen­er­a­tions to read.