Megan Peitz spoke to stu­dents about math careers | Pexel

Every day, con­sumers make thou­sands of choices to determine which brands and products are most desirable. Com­panies attempt to predict those deci­sions through mar­keting research, a field that ana­lyzes con­sumer trends and tailors products based on them. 

Last week, Hillsdale graduate Megan Peitz ‘06 gave a pre­sen­tation titled “Math, Mar­keting and Business” in which she addressed mar­keting research and how her Hillsdale math degree helped her in the field.

Peitz is the founder of Nume­rious Inc., a firm that per­forms con­joint analysis. Essen­tially, she shows respon­dents dif­ferent com­bi­na­tions to see which they’re likely to buy, forcing them to make tradeoffs to show what they truly value. With the infor­mation she gathers, Peitz advises com­panies on the best product pricing, most recently working for Google.

“Google just released the wireless pixel buds … I can’t tell you about all the fea­tures of the product but I can tell you that I’m the person that told them how to price it and which fea­tures that should be in it,” Peitz said. “There are a lot of pos­si­bil­ities when you have a degree in math.”

She noted that being a math­e­matician is no easy feat. It requires working full time and often meeting rapid dead­lines and last-minute requests for data. She rec­om­mends stu­dents inter­ested in a math or mar­keting research career take steps to stay up to date and rel­evant in the field.

“Build up a good LinkedIn profile, get yourself out there,” she advised. 

Other steps for success are reading about and taking courses for various pro­gramming lan­guages such as R, Python, JavaScript, and HTML.

Freshman Abigail Elwell was encouraged by the talk. 

“I’m in hard math classes right now so it was really encour­aging when she said it’s okay to ask for help and be vul­nerable, espe­cially right before midterms,” Elwell said.