With the first waves of off-campus per­mis­sions being granted soon, it’s a good time to con­sider the ben­efits of off-campus living, espe­cially for juniors about to enter their last year of college.

Dorm life has merit for incoming college stu­dents, as they provide a safe envi­ronment for stu­dents to tran­sition into adulthood inde­pen­dence. 

After a few years of being coddled by RAs and house moms, however, many stu­dents are ready for a new chal­lenge and adventure. The skills stu­dents learn, like self-gov­er­nance and inde­pendent living, will serve them well in the real world.

Though stu­dents are told they will grow to self-gov­er­nance, the living envi­ronment is often not con­ducive to achieving that fully. Hillsdale strives to allow their stu­dents to rise to self-gov­er­nance, and giving stu­dents off-campus per­mission is a tan­gible way to provide stu­dents with an oppor­tunity to learn to live pru­dently. 

Living off campus requires stu­dents to create a budget and learn to pay rent on time. They learn how to pay util­ities, handle con­flicts without RA involvement, and keep a house clean. Instead of jumping off the deep-end and going from dorm living to adult life, stu­dents are able to dip their toe in the pool of adulthood before going off to live on their own. 

Off-campus living also aids in the cre­ation of an authentic campus com­munity. With off-campus per­mis­sions, stu­dents may leave the dorms and pursue a com­munity of their own. Stu­dents who aren’t living in the dorms don’t miss out on Hillsdale’s vibrant campus com­munity. Instead, they build their own small com­mu­nities in their houses, all of which con­tribute to campus at large. 

Off-campus living ben­efits the indi­vidual stu­dents who take advantage of the oppor­tunity and campus as a whole. It allows stu­dents to exercise self-gov­er­nance and creates an inten­tional com­munity within the greater college com­munity.