Man will face 90 days in jail for trashing Taco Bell

Home City News Man will face 90 days in jail for trashing Taco Bell
A former manager who caused significant damage to Hillsdale’s Taco Bell on Carleton Road was sentenced to pay $52,392 in restitution costs to the restaurant. Julia Mullins | Collegian

A former Taco Bell manager was sentenced to 90 days in jail, five years of probation, and $52,392 in restitution costs on Feb. 24 for attempting to destroy the Taco Bell on West Carleton Road on Dec. 24, 2019. 

Dakota James Joblinski was originally charged with malicious destruction of property over $1,000 and disorderly conduct. But through a plea bargain, he pleaded guilty to attempted malicious destruction of property over $1,000. The recommended sentence was up to six months in jail. 

Hillsdale Prosecutor Neal Brady said the lighter sentence Joblinski received was unusual for Circuit Court Judge Michael Smith.

“Smith usually gives the full sentences. If Judge Smith doesn’t believe he deserved the full six months, then he didn’t deserve the full six months,” Brady said. 

Defense attorney Kimberley Berger agreed. 

“I was surprised Judge Smith didn’t do the six months, but it’s fair considering the probation and restitution Joblinski will have to give to Taco Bell,” she said. 

When Smith asked Joblinski why he attempted to destroy Taco Bell property, he cited his alcohol abuse and life circumstances.  

“I was doing a lot of drinking, and a lot was on my mind, from my kids to my grandpa’s death,” Joblinski said. “I am getting myself together so I can get my kids back before they go to the foster care system.” 

Joblinski, who said he grew up in the foster care system, said he has not seen his children in six months, as their mother threatened to report him for harassment. After Smith inquired whether Joblinski had sought parental visiting rights through the courts, Joblinski said his name only appears on one of the children’s birth certificates. 

Smith gave a summary of Joblinski’s past criminal record before handing down his sentence.

Joblinski was charged with possession of marijuana in 2014, destruction of property in 2016, and entry without permission in 2016. He has served a total of five days in jail for his past indiscretions. 

“You’ve just made one bad decision after another,” Smith said.

During his probation, Joblinski, who said he has a 10th-grade education, will be required to complete a GED program, comply with alcohol and drug tests, work a job for at least 30 hours per week, and refrain from all alcohol and drug consumption. 

Berger said the defense was satisfied with the outcome of the sentencing.

“Sometimes as an attorney, it is about getting the best possible resolution when there is no defense,” Berger said.  “We accomplished that.”