Local candidates hold meet-and-greet with residents at Stadium Roller Rink

Home City News Local candidates hold meet-and-greet with residents at Stadium Roller Rink
Mayor Adam Stockford, a candidate running for the 58th District seat in the State House of Representatives, addressed residents at the Stadium Roller Rink during a meet-and-greet. Ben Wilson | Collegian

Three local candidates spoke to residents about reducing government interference and spending during a candidate meet-and-greet at Stadium Roller Rink on Feb. 15. 

The candidates took questions from the attendees, passed around petitions, and discussed issues important to the citizens. 

The three candidates included: Doug Ingles, owner of the rink and candidate for county commissioner; Adam Stockford, mayor of Hillsdale and candidate for State Representative; and John Smith, candidate for county commissioner. 

Ingles opened the event by telling the group about his reasons for running and the policies he plans to support.

“My mission statement is government is growing too much. One of the questions I will ask myself on any proposal that comes to me is: Will this grow government?” he said. “Second, taxes are out of control.”

Ingles talked about his opposition to programs that receive funding but only benefit a few people.

“If it grows government, if it raises taxes, and it only fills the needs for a few people, I’m going to be a ‘no,’” he said. “Unless there is some benefit, and that will take a very strong position to turn my ‘no’ into a ‘yes.’”

He said commissioners on the board have been there too long, including his opponent Ruth Brown. 

“Ruth Brown has had four terms,” he said. “It’s time for a change.”

The Stadium Roller Rink owner also announced that he plans to chair the county commission. 

“I’m not only running for county commissioner, but I also intended to chair it,” he said. “We need a change and I hope to be that change.”

Stockford has served as mayor of Hillsdale since 2017 and is running for the 58th District seat in the State House of Representatives. 

“The state has started to centralize more and more,” Stockford said. “On a daily basis, alphabet agencies within the state pass unfunded mandates that affect local municipalities.” 

Stockford said he is opposed to growing government and is hesitant to expand executive power. 

“There’s this bureaucratic mindset that only the experts can do things and that the rest of us, not just your average resident, but elected officials as well, are just kind of dumb,” he said. “Authority is being taken away from local units of government.”

Stockford took questions from residents and explained the relationship between the city and county. 

Smith was the final candidate to speak at the event, and he highlighted his reasons for joining the 5th District Country Commissioner race. 

“We have a communication problem between government and citizens,” Smith said. “I think by being humble and being honest about this topic, we can start communicating better.”

Smith talked about issues important to his campaign, including getting better returns on investments from committees and supporting local businesses. He said he is particularly opposed to wasteful spending in government agencies.

“You would never do this in your own budget, so why would you expect everybody to else pay for it,” he said. “I believe I would make a better county commissioner for your pocketbook.”