Healthies of Hillsdale donated a portion of its Feb. 12 sales to Hillsdale CASA. Calli Townsend | Col­legian

Sierra Cady, owner of Healthies of Hillsdale, has been involved in the Court Appointed Special Advo­cates program for 10 years now. On Wednesday, Feb. 12, her store donated $1 of every smoothie-tea combo pur­chase to the Hillsdale CASA, along with money that was put into a donation bucket. 

CASA Director Heather Upton said CASA relies on dona­tions and grants because it is a non­profit orga­ni­zation.

“We appre­ciate the gen­erosity of Healthies very much. They are a big sup­porter of our program,” Upton said. “We use dona­tions to help cover things that the grants won’t cover, such as vol­unteer recog­nition.”

Cady owns a Healthies store in Jackson, Michigan, where she orig­i­nally started part­nering with CASA. In January 2019, she opened a store in Hillsdale as well. She said Upton became a cus­tomer of hers, and when she found out through Upton that there was a CASA program in Hillsdale, she wanted to help. 

“We like helping the kids, they’re kids in need,” Cady said. “We have a CASA in Jackson that we support, and we do that for like 50 kids.” 

Healthies part­nered with CASA back in December to help provide for kids around Christmas time.

“Healthies had a col­lection box at the club accepting dona­tions for things such as crayons, color books, and toy cars,” Upton said. 

Hillsdale College junior Carmen Botha visited Healthies on Wednesday to order her favorite smoothie and help CASA.

“I am happy to help little children in any way pos­sible,” Botha said. 

CASA is a non­profit orga­ni­zation that trains vol­un­teers to serve and mentor children who suffer from neglect and abuse. These vol­un­teers meet weekly with the children and then can advocate for them in court room sit­u­a­tions. 

This non­profit was founded by Juvenile Court Judge David W. Soukup in Seattle, Wash­ington, in 1977. He realized the need for more infor­mation when making life-altering deci­sions for children. By having vol­un­teers serve as advo­cates for these children, courts can make better deci­sions. The program helps more than 270,000 children across the nation.