‘Far from ordinary’ duo pianists to perform this weekend

Home Culture ‘Far from ordinary’ duo pianists to perform this weekend
Facebook

On Feb. 7-8, Hillsdale’s Duo Pianists, Kristi Gautsche and Debbi Wyse, will perform “The Allure of the Obscure” in Markel Auditorium at 8 pm. Wyse teaches music and piano at Hillsdale, and she has performed with her good friend Gautsche for more than 30 years. For this performance, they chose unique, lesser-known pieces written for two pianos. 

“Kristi and I have put together a very eclectic program with something for everyone — a bit of German repertoire, some French, even a bit of jazz and Argentine tango,” Wyse said. 

The music isn’t the only creative aspect of the program.

According to Wyse, “the audience will not have printed program notes. Instead, all the notes will be narrated in creative ways by our co-hosts, Gianna Marchese ’17 and my husband, Ned Wyse,” she said. “We are including a fun trivia challenge for the audience, and there will be some cool lighting effects by Tyler Sechrist as well.”

Gautsche agreed that their performances are far from ordinary. 

Our concerts are usually not your regular piano concerts. Last time we had toy pianos, and this time we have trivia,” she said. “Debbi and I have always tried to think of our audience when we program a concert, and this time was no different. We tried to put together a program that’s easy to enjoy, in a format that’s fun and relaxing for audience members.”  

Gautsche and Wyse said they are hoping to pack Markel both nights.