Facebook

On Feb. 7 – 8, Hillsdale’s Duo Pianists, Kristi Gautsche and Debbi Wyse, will perform “The Allure of the Obscure” in Markel Audi­torium at 8 pm. Wyse teaches music and piano at Hillsdale, and she has per­formed with her good friend Gautsche for more than 30 years. For this per­for­mance, they chose unique, lesser-known pieces written for two pianos. 

“Kristi and I have put together a very eclectic program with some­thing for everyone — a bit of German reper­toire, some French, even a bit of jazz and Argentine tango,” Wyse said. 

The music isn’t the only cre­ative aspect of the program.

According to Wyse, “the audience will not have printed program notes. Instead, all the notes will be nar­rated in cre­ative ways by our co-hosts, Gianna Marchese ’17 and my husband, Ned Wyse,” she said. “We are including a fun trivia chal­lenge for the audience, and there will be some cool lighting effects by Tyler Sechrist as well.”

Gautsche agreed that their per­for­mances are far from ordinary. 

Our con­certs are usually not your regular piano con­certs. Last time we had toy pianos, and this time we have trivia,” she said. “Debbi and I have always tried to think of our audience when we program a concert, and this time was no dif­ferent. We tried to put together a program that’s easy to enjoy, in a format that’s fun and relaxing for audience members.”  

Gautsche and Wyse said they are hoping to pack Markel both nights.