The Dawn Theater on North Broad Street in downtown Hillsdale. Julia Mullins | Col­legian

Foulke Con­struction will resume ren­o­vating the Dawn Theater once the weather starts to break, according to Hillsdale Zoning Admin­is­trator Alan Beeker. 

“Foulke will not actually start full blown con­struction until the weather starts to clear because the grant process took longer than expected,” Beeker said. “They’re fin­ishing up some projects they had ahead of us.”

Beeker noted that although the building went through the haz­ardous material abatement process, much of the nec­essary interior and exterior work still remains.  

“It needs a full re-roof and there is some roof structure that needs to be repaired prior to com­pleting it, and no one wanted to do that during the winter,” Beeker said. 

City of Hillsdale Tax Increment Finance Authority board member Mary Wolfram added that TIFA owns the Dawn Theater, but Keefer House LLC, a sub­sidiary of C.L. Real Estate, will manage the space. 

Wolfram said Keefer House LLC has also stated an intent to pur­chase the building next to the Dawn Theater, for­merly occupied by Smith’s Flower Shop. 

At a Hillsdale City Council meeting on Monday, Hillsdale College Pro­fessor of Political Economy Gary Wolfram shared his excitement regarding the ren­o­vation, as he has his own mem­ories of his children vis­iting the Dawn Theater. 

“I look forward to sending my grandkids to see things at the Dawn,” he said. 

Mary Wolfram said the space will function with dual pur­poses, serving as both a com­munity theater and private event space once fully ren­o­vated. In addition to bringing in small musical acts and per­for­mances, she said, the city hopes to host a film series, showing classic and children’s films. 

“It’s not a big theater. It’s not going to be some­thing where we will bring in a big group of per­formers,” Mary Wolfram said. “Keefer House LLC will have that space available to them to hold events such as business parties, wedding recep­tions, Christmas parties for busi­nesses, family reunions, and any­thing that people have to rent a hall for.”