Softball Vs. Wayne State
Senior Day

The Hillsdale College Chargers will begin their regular season with five games in Chat­tanooga, Ten­nessee, beginning this weekend. 

Head coach Kyle Gross said the Chargers will be com­peting in a brand new tour­nament and will face some teams they’ve never seen before, along with a familiar com­petitor. 

“We haven’t faced Lee Uni­versity before, and McK­endree acquired playing us before,” Gross said. “North Georgia has been ranked the past four years. We played a good game against them last year.” 

The Chargers will face the Columbus State Cougars on Friday, Feb. 7 at 11 a.m. to begin the weekend. The Chargers will con­clude the weekend with one game on Sunday, Feb. 9 against the Uni­versity of Mon­te­vallo Falcons. 

Sophomore infielder Kasidy Carson said the team has been working on mechanics and are ready to get back into the swing of the season. 

“I’m excited, I think it’ll be really good for us, espe­cially because we haven’t been on the dirt in awhile,” Karson said. “It’ll be good to be able to play seven innings again and be the team that we know we can be.” 

Gross said the team has improved sig­nif­i­cantly during practice since returning from winter break. 

“We’re focusing a lot on defense exe­cution, and we’ve imple­mented offensive strategies and the exe­cution of those,” Gross said. “Ending practice the other day, they looked like they were ready to go play.” 

Senior out­fielder Carlin Mac­Donald-Gannon said the team has plenty of talent this season, and she’s excited to see how everybody steps into their dif­ferent roles. 

“We’re very men­tally tough,” Mac­Donald-Gannon said. “We’ve got some really big bats this year. And we’ve been working on defense, mechanics, overall strategy –– every­thing we’ve been working on has been really good. I think it’s really clicking and falling into place. I’m excited to see how this actually plays out in live games.” 

With this being her final season Mac-Donald Gannon said she is ready to start but will make an effort to enjoy every moment she has left with the team. 

‘I’m just hoping I don’t take it for granted, don’t get too mental about it, and I just have fun,” Mac­Donald-Gannon said. “These are some of my closest friends, so I’m just going to try to enjoy this last season.” 

Coming into this season as back-to-back GMAC cham­pions, Gross said the team has come together during the off-season and has many strengths. 

“We’re bringing our expe­rience of last year to this season,” Gross said. “We want to come out of the gate with a com­pet­itive men­tality. And then we want to place higher in the GMAC and win the con­ference tour­nament again.”