Junior Mark Miller races the mile at Tiffin Uni­versity (Courtesy | Shane O’Donnell)

This last weekend, the Hillsdale College men’s track team split up its ath­letes and coaching staff to tackle three dif­ferent meets in order to prepare for the upcoming con­ference cham­pi­onship. 

“We had some good things, nothing earth shat­tering,” head coach Andrew Towne said about the weekend. “But, we had good things across the board.”

At Grand Valley State Uni­versity, senior Joey Humes ran a hard mile to capture fourth overall with a time of 4:08.26. His teammate junior Jack Shelley ran 46th place with a time of 4:20.70.

Some of the sprints crew traveled to Kent State Uni­versity to compete in the 400 and 800 meter runs. Freshman Benu Meintjes ran a season best in the 400 meter dash. He ended 13th overall with a time of 49.94 seconds. His teammate, junior Adam Wade also ran a season best time of 50.21 seconds coming off of injury to end 17th in the 400 meter dash. 

“Being injured has hin­dered my progress towards con­ference goals, but I still have a strong belief that I will be able to finish the indoor season strong,” Wade said. “I also have high hopes for our men’s 4x4 at the con­ference meet.”

Freshman Ian Calvert con­tinued his strong debut season with a time of 1:58.71 in the 800 meter run to finish 24th. 

At the Uni­versity of Findlay, team­mates senior Ian Brown and sophomore John Baldwin raced one another in the 60 meter hurdles. Brown fin­ished third overall with a time of 8.38 seconds. Baldwin ended fourth with a time of 8.409 seconds. 

Sophomore Jacob Schmidt attacked the 60 meter dash and ended fourth with a time of 7.06 seconds.

Senior David Downey ended 14th in the 400 meter dash with a time of 54.66 seconds. 

In the field, senior Ryan Thomsen leapt to a 1.99 meter finish in the high jump. Sophomore thrower, Steve Weidman set a per­sonal best with a weight throw of 15.12 meters. 

The Chargers return home this weekend to finish tuning up before the attack con­ference with fresh legs and a cham­pi­onship mindset.