Sophomore Nikita Maines throws shot put at Tiffin Uni­versity (Courtesy | Shane O’Donnell)

The Hillsdale College Chargers split up and tackled dif­ferent meets this weekend in order to con­tinue prepa­ration for the upcoming C‑MAC Cham­pi­onship meet. The dis­tance crew trav­elled to Grand Valley State Uni­versity on Friday where they set mul­tiple per­sonal bests, while the sprints and jumps groups com­peted at Kent State Uni­versity and the Uni­versity of Findlay on Sat­urday. 

Junior Christina Sawyer com­peted well in the 5000 meter run to take seventh in a highly com­pet­itive heat. She set a new indoor per­sonal best by a full 30 seconds with a time of 17:15.15 and ran a NCAA Division II Pro­vi­sional Mark.

“It was a big PR for me, so that’s exciting,” Sawyer said. “My team­mates who ran before me ran really well too so there was a lot of momentum going into the race. Our training has been going really well and it’s just really exciting.”

Her teammate, sophomore Claire McNally, fin­ished second in her heat with a time of 17:39.49. Freshman Meg Scheske ran the race in 17:58.09 and took third in her heat. Sophomore Sophia Maeda fin­ished 24th in her heat with a time of 18:12.40. 

In the mile, freshman Gwynne Riley set a per­sonal record running 5:03.44 which earned her eighth in her heat. Sophomore teammate Amber Mango also claimed a per­sonal best with a time of 5:13.29.

In the 3000 meter run, stacked with tough com­pe­tition, senior Arena Lewis ended 31st with a time of 10:04.33. She was fol­lowed closely by teammate junior Maryssa Depies who ran the race in 10:09.35 to place 38th. 

At Kent State, junior Calli Townsend com­peted in the 800 meter run and fin­ished 10th with a time of 2:19.21. 

The women’s 4x400 meter relay made of freshman Dakota Stamm, junior Kajsa Johansson, sophomore Alanna O’Leary, and freshman Judith Allison ran a season’s best time of 3:49.38 which qual­ified as a NCAA Division II Pro­vi­sional Time. 

“I ran a per­sonal best in terms of my split,” O’Leary said. “I wish I would’ve gone faster, but that was how we all felt across the board. It was good for us to col­lec­tively get a three second PR and see that as a potential to do really well.”

At the Uni­versity of Findlay Alumni Classic, freshman Jillian Roney started the day with a nice race in the prelims of the 60 meter hurdles. Roney qual­ified for finals with a time of 9.35 seconds, but did not compete in the finals. She also ran the the 60 meter dash prelims where she ended 13th with a time of 8.13 seconds. Her teammate, Zoe Eby ran the same race in 8.15 seconds to take 15th.

In the field, the Chargers set several new per­sonal bests. Freshman Emily Gerdin ended fourth with a new per­sonal best after a leap of 5.47 meters in the long jump. She also took second in the triple jump with a jump of 10.91 meters. Senior Carlin Mac­Donald-Gannon also expe­ri­enced success taking seventh in the long jump with a per­sonal best of 5.19 meters. She took third in the triple jump with another per­sonal best of 10.75 meters. 

In the shot put, Maines led the throwing squad with a fourth place finish in the shot put of 13.84 meters. In the weight throw, she ended with a toss of 16.46 meters and ended fifth. 

Sophomore teammate Michaela Burkhauser ended ninth in the shot put with a throw of 12.64 meters. Freshman Katie Weldy took nine­teenth in the weight throw with a throw of 12.81 meters. 

The Chargers compete next week at home in their Tune Up meet to prepare for the con­ference. 

“For some kids it’s their last chance to get on the travel squad, for some it’s just a time to work on some­thing in par­ticular,” head coach Andrew Towne said. “It’ll just give us a good feel for where we’re at.”