Ally Eads runs during the Wide Track Classic on Feb­ruary 1. (Todd Lan­caster | Courtesy)

At Grand Valley State Uni­versity this past Sat­urday, the Hillsdale College women’s track team laid down impressive per­sonal records and took a step in the right direction towards con­ference. 

“We still cer­tainly have more to do, but that meet was really useful for us,” head coach Andrew Towne said.

In the field, sophomore Alexie Day jumped 1.55 meters to take fourth place in high jump, and Carlin Mac­Donald-Gannon com­peted well in the long jump. She ended eighth with a leap of 4.90 meters and triple jumped to 10th place, jumping 10.05 meters.

Sophomore Nikita Maines com­peted well in the throws as she has all season. She threw 13.82 meters in the shot put and placed second. In the weight throw she came in sixth with a throw of 16.09 meters.

“My per­for­mance was an average one, but it was a stepping stone in the right direction,” Maines said. “Right now I’m sitting in a really good position for some big things to come together. I just have to stay focused and keep my mind on the goal.”

Sophomore Michaela Burkhauser placed sixth in the shot put throwing 12.37 meters, with freshman teammate Katie Weldy fin­ishing in 11th with a mark of 11.67 meters. Burkhauser fin­ished 11th in weight throw as well, throwing for 15.29 meters. Weldy threw for 13.60 meters to take 16th. 

On the track, freshman Allison Nimtz set a per­sonal best in the 60 meter dash. She fin­ished eighth with a time of 8.13 seconds. 

Junior Kajsa Johansson ran a strong race in the 200 meter dash and ended third with a time of 25.01 seconds.

In the 400 meter dash, freshman Dakota Stamm set an impressive per­sonal best, shaving almost two seconds off her pre­vious best. She ran for a second place finish with a time of 56.59 which is .06 a NCAA Division II Pro­vi­sional Mark. 

“My time is finally dropping in the 400 to where I want it,” Stamm said. “There’s def­i­nitely room for improvement still. We haven’t peaked yet, and we don’t want to do that until later in the season.”

Towne said he was pleased with Stamm’s per­for­mance, which earned her the team’s athlete of the meet award. 

“That was a really solid effort from her in the 400. She’s a very tal­ented freshman,” he said.

Junior Calli Townsend ran the 800 meter dash in 2:17.73 and took fifth place. 

And in the mile race, Hillsdale placed four women in the top fifteen. Senior Arena Lewis led the Chargers with a seventh place finish and a time of 5:02.45. Freshman Gwynne Riley, who ran as a teammate of Stamm’s in high school, set a per­sonal record in the mile ending ninth with a time of 5:04.72.

Towne said he was impressed with her per­for­mance.

“She was our Excel­lence Award winner,” he said. “There’s a lot more she can do but she’s coming along really nicely.”

Junior Maryssa Depies ran 5:06.08 to take 10th place. She was fol­lowed by Christina Sawyer and Claire McNally who took 12th and 13th, respec­tively. 

In the 60 meter hurdles, junior Carmen Botha ran a season best and took fifth place with a time of 9.24 seconds. Her teammate, freshman Jillian Roney set a per­sonal best (9.31) in the prelims and ended sixth in the finals running 9.34. 

To end the day, the women’s 4‑by-400m relay won the event with a time of 3:52.56. The relay began with sophomore Alanna O’Leary who was fol­lowed by Stamm, freshman Judith Allison, and Johansson.

The Chargers will host the Wide Track Classic this weekend, starting on Friday, Feb. 7 and con­cluding on Sat­urday. Events begin on Friday at noon.