Last year’s CAPA Charity Ball at Hillsdale Col­lege’s Searle Center. Courtesy | CAPA

Hillsdale’s Child Abuse Pre­vention and Awareness orga­ni­zation is hosting its fifth annual Children’s Charity Ball at Hillsdale College’s Searle Center on Sat­urday, Feb. 15.

For the past five years, CAPA has hosted a ball with a spe­cific topic in mind to raise awareness and money for the orga­ni­zation. This year, the ball will focus on childhood trauma.

“Every year the charity ball picks a form of child abuse and neglect,” said CAPA Exec­utive Director Christie Campbell. “We’ve done safe sleep, shaking babies, sexual abuse, and human traf­ficking. This year, the topic is sur­viving childhood trauma.”

There are raffle tickets for sale at $20 for one ticket or $50 for three tickets, and the cost for a single person to attend the ball is $60 for a single and $100 for a couple. The doors open at 6 p.m., and those who pur­chase raffle tickets are not required to attend the event. The first prize winner of the raffle will receive a $2,000 vacation voucher, the second prize winner a gun safe, and the third prize winner an enter­tainment package.

Ball chair Megan Ste­berson said the ball has been popular from the start.

“The ball response has been fan­tastic since year one,” she said. “We moved over to the Searle Center last year, and the venue is perfect for us and would allow us at some point to sell up to 500 tickets.”

Campbell said the ball started in memory of Trey Bowman, a child who died from abuse. His parents were speakers at the first ball. The ball now centers around the story of Asher, who sur­vived trauma after being a foster kid before he was adopted. His adoptive parents Brian and Jessica Stroble and ther­apist Shelly Woertink will be speaking about Asher’s expe­rience.

“Their story is going to be about the things that hap­pened to him,” Ste­berson said, “but more impor­tantly how childhood trauma, even infant trauma, has affected him as he’s grown up, and what parents and foster parents have to deal with and the sup­ports that they may need to get them through a sit­u­ation like this.”

Campbell said the ball is a way to not only raise money but also to “bring awareness to Hillsdale County.”

“We’re very thankful to all of our sponsors and donors and our com­munity for all their support for not only the ball but every­thing we do in the com­munity,” Campbell said.