Sophomore John Baldwin and junior Ryan Thomsen race in the 60m hurdles as part of the hep­tathlon at Tiffin Uni­versity. (Courtesy | Shane O’Donnell)

John Ethan Baldwin stole the show for the men’s track team this week with an out­standing per­for­mance in the hep­tathlon. The sophomore multi-event athlete shat­tered the school record by 39 points and ended with a final score of 5040 points. He won the event and set an NCAA Division II Pro­vi­sional Mark.

“His per­for­mance was really good,” head coach Andrew Towne said. “He was our male athlete of the week.”

Baldwin said he struggled with pole vault and that threw his overall per­for­mance in jeopardy, but he ended up in good standing in that event and ulti­mately destroyed the com­pe­tition. 

“Overall it was a big improvement over what I’ve done before. It was a bit of a roller­coaster over two days,” he said. “There were some good events and some things that didn’t go exactly to plan. It’s pretty much about con­sis­tency over a long period of time because you can’t learn every­thing quickly. And it’s helpful that it’s fun and I enjoy it.” 

Senior Ryan Thomsen who was the pre­vious record in the hep­tathlon ended second behind Baldwin with a score of 4951 points, which is also a pro­vi­sional mark. Between Thomsen and Baldwin’s efforts over the two-day com­pe­tition, they won five of the seven events. Baldwin won the 60m dash, the 60m hurdles, and high jump, while Thomsen won pole vault and long jump.

On the track, freshman Ian Calvert ran a per­sonal best to win his heat and ulti­mately come in second in the 800 meter run with a time of 1:58.49. His teammate, freshman Sean Hoeft, ended fourth in the race with a time of 1:59.16. 

Junior Charles Hol­brook ended 14th in his heat in the 3000 meter run with a time of 9:42.75, and sophomore Adam Wier won the 5000 meter run with a time of 15:36.20. 

“I was happy with my first col­le­giate win, but not sat­isfied with how I got it,” Wier said. “There will be another oppor­tunity at the con­ference meet. For now, I just have to keep training and building off the expe­rience.” 

His teammate, freshman Mark Sprague ended seventh in the event with a time of 16:15.87. 

Senior Ian Brown ran a per­sonal best of 8.30 seconds in the finals of the 60 meter hurdles and ended in third place. Freshman Joseph Ritzer ran a per­sonal best as well in the 200 meter dash with a time of 24.78 seconds.

To the end the day on the track, the men ran the 4x400 meter dash. They ended with a time of 3:33.05 seconds and the team con­sisted of Ritzer, freshman Benu Mien­jntes, senior David Downey, and junior Adam Wade. The team fin­ished in fourth place in the race. 

In the field, sophomore Will Syrus com­peted in the long jump and ended eighth with a leap of 6.55 meters. Syrus also tied for third in the triple jump with a jump of 13.19 meters. 

Teammate Josh Nichols, ended 20th in the long jump with a jump of 5.78 meters and ninth in the triple jump jumping 11.85 meters. Freshman Charlie Andrews took fourth in the high jump with a jump of 1.89 meters. 

Sophomore Steven Weidman com­peted in the weight throw and ended 13th with a throw of 14.71 meters. 

The Chargers hold a record of  

The Chargers compete at dif­ferent meets next weekend to con­tinue to prepare for the con­ference. 

“These next few weeks are crucial for us to sharpen up for the indoor con­ference and really be ready next time,” Wier said.