Annual Chi O pancake breakfast set for next Sat.

Home News Homepage - News Annual Chi O pancake breakfast set for next Sat.
Members of the Chi Omega sorority making pancakes for charity. Claire Gwilt | Courtesy

The Chi Omega house will kick off their annual pancake breakfast on Saturday, Feb. 29th from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

The breakfast, which has been Chi Omega’s main fundraising event for the past 10 years, includes pancakes, sausage, and eggs. Junior and Chi Omega community service coordinator Samantha Widmer said they host the breakfast every spring parents’ weekend, and it is the most successful of their fundraising events.

“It does raise usually about close to half of what we raise every year,” Widmer said. “It’s definitely probably the most loved fundraiser across the house. It just gets so many people involved in one day.”

All proceeds of the event go to the Make-A-Wish foundation in Michigan. Junior Clare Nalepa said their advertising has been widespread, and last year, they were able to invite a “Wish Kid” and her family.

“The goal of the event is not only to fundraise to be able to grant a wish as a chapter but also to support Make a Wish in any way we can as well as continue to get their name out there and what they do,” Nalepa said in an email. “I hope people are able to come and eat a ton of pancakes to support a larger purpose and organization that helps kids experience life to the fullest and maybe forget about the very grown-up things they are dealing with in their illnesses.”

Widmer said the event brings the house together; each member contributes to the event in organization, advertising, and cooking, and it reflects the mission of Chi Omega.

“We’re holding each other to a standard of serving one another in the community,” Widmer said. “That’s probably the biggest thing that I would want someone to see when they walk in our house, that this is something we enjoy doing and that we hold each other accountable to do. Come eat pancakes, hang out with us – not only is it fun to attend, but it’s fun to be able to support something.”