AdLiberty Improv held their first show of the semester last Thursday, Feb. 20, in Conrad Recital Hall. Stefan Kleinhenz | Col­legian

AdLiberty Improv’s prepa­ration and high energy allowed for a suc­cessful first show of the semester, according to Jake McKie, the club’s pres­ident.

The improv group held their first show of the semester last Thursday, Feb. 20, in Conrad Recital Hall.

“We just felt like we were ready for the show. Even a lot of the new stuff we were trying was clicking,” McKie said. “I think a lot of the scenes all around were really strong and really fun to watch, with con­sistent laughs,” he said. 

The show fea­tured a series of several improv games acted out by dif­ferent members of the group. Among some of the games per­formed were five things, new choice, swinging pen­dulum of death, four square, good bad and worst advice, and scenes from a hat.  

Actor Tom Southwell com­mented on a par­tic­u­larly funny moment from the show. “We had a lot of fun, unex­pected stuff, like a walnut falling from the ceiling in the middle of the scene,” he said, referring to how he incor­po­rated the walnut into his per­for­mance as a theater-ghost in that par­ticular scene. 

McKie said that they fre­quently work to keep the scene going under any cir­cum­stance, which is called jus­ti­fi­cation. “No matter what happens, the­o­ret­i­cally we can make it make sense in the scene”, he explained. “We’re always trying to help each other up and work every­thing we can into the scene.”

McKie added that while AdLiberty Improv is looking to increase in size, their small group is still able to work together well.

“We’ve been a rather small group this year but we’re working on getting our numbers up,” he said. “The chem­istry between the people we have is really fan­tastic.”

The members of AdLiberty Improv encourage new members to attend prac­tices. Prac­tices geared toward new members looking to hone their improv skills are held on Mondays at 6:00 p.m. in Room 135 in the Fine Arts Building.