Pres­ident Donald Trump made history as the first sitting pres­ident to attend the annual March for Life last Friday, but his presence hurt more than helped the pro-life movement. Courtesy I Twitter (@RaymondArroyo)

Pres­ident Donald Trump made history as the first sitting pres­ident to attend the annual March for Life last Friday, but his presence hurt more than helped the pro-life movement.

This year was my fourth time attending the March in D.C., and it was, by far, the most Trump-crazed one I’ve yet seen. That makes sense. But while walking toward the National Mall, I saw several vendors selling Trump mer­chandise (com­plete with T‑shirts that read “Impeach This,” showing Trump flipping the bird), scores of MAGA hats, a flag with a Trump-as-Rambo image, and various signs praising the pres­ident for one accom­plishment or another.

I got an odd feeling in my stomach. Had I walked into a Trump cam­paign rally? This was sup­posed to be the March for Life, not the March for Trump.

“They are coming after me because I am fighting for you,” he said, obvi­ously ref­er­encing the ongoing impeachment pro­ceedings. But the March isn’t the place for Trump to set himself up as a political martyr.

Several main­stream media outlets posted March for Life cov­erage, the lack of which pro-lifers have bemoaned in past years.

As expected, however, the articles almost never explored the reasons we were protesting or what people thought about the March itself. Most of these articles instead covered the pre-March rally as if it were a giant cam­paign event for the president’s reelection bid. 

No one doubts that Trump’s presence at the March is news­worthy. Editors would have been fools if they hadn’t assigned reporters. But they refused to tell the whole story about the March and the pro-life movement’s efforts there.

One NPR article fea­tured inter­views with pro­testors at the rally, but it only high­lighted their thoughts regarding the pres­ident. The piece didn’t include what pro­testors had to say on the March itself or even why they’re pro-life. 

Mean­while, USA Today reported that after the president’s speech, the crowd began chanting “four more years.” That’s the kind of thing you’d expect from a cam­paign rally — espe­cially when the March has seen so many of its own chants over the years, like “We love babies, how ‘bout you?” or “Hey, hey. Ho, ho. Roe v. Wade has got to go.”

Trump cer­tainly had some good things to say at the rally, espe­cially early on in his address: “Together, we must protect, cherish, and defend the dignity and the sanctity of every human life,” he said.

He soon turned the speech to focus on himself, though, as he resorted to rehashing his list of pro-life actions. And, to be sure, pro-lifers should applaud what he’s done with the Mexico City policy and Title IX, for example. 

But as pro-lifers, we must be wary of regarding our pres­ident as the darling of the pro-life movement. Trump went too far in his address when he arro­gantly asserted that “unborn children have never had a stronger defender in the White House.” His tweet on May 18 would beg to differ.

“As most people know, and for those who would like to know, I am strongly Pro-Life, with the three excep­tions — Rape, Incest and pro­tecting the Life of the mother — the same position taken by Ronald Reagan,” he tweeted.

Many people in the con­ser­v­ative wing of the pro-life movement would tell you they don’t support excep­tions for rape and incest. Talk show hosts Ben Shapiro and Matt Walsh have both spoken out against such excep­tions.

All unborn children are living human beings made in the image of God, and the cir­cum­stances leading to their con­ception, no matter how hor­rible and heart-breaking, don’t change their value as persons. The fact that Trump tries to justify this view by name-dropping Ronald Reagan seems nothing short of political expe­diency, espe­cially as he tries to keep his core evan­gelical voting bloc.

Besides, some have spec­u­lated that Trump paid for women’s abor­tions in the past. We can’t affirm these claims until we see real evi­dence, but he has never directly answered the question as to whether he has paid for an abortion. 

New York Times writer Maureen Dowd said in 2016 that, during an interview, she asked if he was involved with anyone who had an abortion.

“Such an inter­esting question,” he reportedly said. “So what’s your next question?”

Beyond his incon­sis­tencies in pro-life views, Trump also hasn’t demon­strated he values human life across the board. Pro-lifers can’t just wish away his derogatory com­ments about women, minorities, and the dis­abled —  who all have the same human value as unborn children.

Trump pub­licly apol­o­gized for his filthy com­ments in 2005 about groping women, but there seems to be no end to pos­sible cases of sexual mis­conduct on his part. Espe­cially with the March’s pro-woman theme this year, we don’t need to make a pro-life icon of a man who even places himself in sit­u­a­tions where there’s the slightest insin­u­ation of improper behavior. 

In a time when America is more divided than ever, the pro-life movement needs to strengthen itself across party and ide­alogical lines. Con­ser­v­ative groups fighting abortion need to join arms with similar groups on the left, like Democrats for Life of America. 

Protes­tants and Roman Catholics have linked arms in this battle against a culture of death. It’s time for Repub­licans, Democrats, and inde­pen­dants to do the same if we’re going to have a good chance of actually seeing our nation embrace a wholis­ti­cally pro-life view.

Lifting up Trump as a pro-life savior is only going to hurt our chances in that regard.

Nolan Ryan is a senior studying English. He is the editor-in-chief of The Col­legian.

Previous articlePhysical Wellness class revamped
Next articleQuick Hits: David Houghton
Nolan Ryan
Nolan Ryan is a senior from northern Michigan, studying English and journalism. He is Editor-in-Chief at the Collegian for the 2019-2020 school year. He previously interned with The Detroit News and The Tennessean. You can find him reading good poetry and trying desperately to be better at appreciating art. Email: nryan1@hillsdale.edu | Twitter: @NolanRyan76