Track teams seek to improve after Youngstown Invite

Home Sports Homepage - Sports Track teams seek to improve after Youngstown Invite
Senior Nathan Pando competes at the 2018 Gina Relays (David Mexicotte, Hillsdale Track & Field Facebook | Courtesy).

The Youngstown University Invitational on Jan. 17 was a good chance for the Hillsdale College men’s track team to measure up against tough conference competition. Despite head coach Andrew Towne calling it an “okay” meet, the Chargers still have a new school record to boast.

Sophomore John Baldwin broke Hillsdale’s collegiate record in the 60 meter hurdles. He set the new record with a time of 8.21 seconds, placing fourth in the competition. 

“It was nice to get the record, that was an added bonus,” Baldwin said. “I’ve been hovering around it for awhile. It was a good meet and I just want to keep improving.” 

His eyes are set towards him and the rest of team improving and competing well at conference.

Senior Ian Brown broke his own personal record in the 60 meter hurdles as well, finishing with a time of 8.35  seconds to take sixth. 

In the field, sophomore Ben Raffin performed well in pole vault ending with a vault of 4.87 meters and a second place finish. After feeling off rhythm warming up and struggling with pole selection, he said he started to feel good taking vaults up. 

“I finally found a pole I was comfortable on that threw me up and gave me better pop,” Raffin said. 

He then attempted a personal best at 4.97 meters but did not achieve it. 

“It just didn’t happen that day, but I found a rhythm that meet and it’s a good step in the right direction.” 

In the triple jump, freshman Joshua Nichols jumped 12.76 meters and finished 15th. Baldwin also finished fourth in the high jump with a jump of 1.85 meters. 

On the track, sophomore Jacob Schmidt ran the 200 meter dash in 22.65 seconds which earned him 15th. He was followed by senior teammate Ian Brown who got a personal best in the race with a time of 23.05 seconds. 

Freshman Benu Meintjes ran the 400 meter dash in 50.05 seconds to place ninth. Another underclassmen, freshman Ian Calvert ended 24th in the 800 meter run with a time of 2:02.31. 

In the mile run, junior Mark Miller ran for third place completing the race in 4:17.61. Junior teammate Jack Shelley finished 12th running 4:25.44. 

To finish the day of competition, the men’s 4×400 meter relay finished eighth with a time of 3:27.22. The team was made of Meintjes, Schmidt, Calvert, and Baldwin.

Towne said he is looking ahead to the next few meets as chances to improve. 

“We’ve got to start taking steps forward which requires more- more effort and more championship decisions. I’m not really interested in “just okay” meets.” 

The Chargers are hosting the Conference Crossover in Biermann Athletic Center Friday, Jan. 24. Teams from the GLVC, GLIAC, and G-MAC will be in attendance. Events begin at 4pm. The events begin at 4pm.