Senior Nathan Pando com­petes at the 2018 Gina Relays (David Mex­i­cotte, Hillsdale Track & Field Facebook | Courtesy).

The Youngstown Uni­versity Invi­ta­tional on Jan. 17 was a good chance for the Hillsdale College men’s track team to measure up against tough con­ference com­pe­tition. Despite head coach Andrew Towne calling it an “okay” meet, the Chargers still have a new school record to boast.

Sophomore John Baldwin broke Hillsdale’s col­le­giate record in the 60 meter hurdles. He set the new record with a time of 8.21 seconds, placing fourth in the com­pe­tition. 

“It was nice to get the record, that was an added bonus,” Baldwin said. “I’ve been hov­ering around it for awhile. It was a good meet and I just want to keep improving.” 

His eyes are set towards him and the rest of team improving and com­peting well at con­ference.

Senior Ian Brown broke his own per­sonal record in the 60 meter hurdles as well, fin­ishing with a time of 8.35  seconds to take sixth. 

In the field, sophomore Ben Raffin per­formed well in pole vault ending with a vault of 4.87 meters and a second place finish. After feeling off rhythm warming up and strug­gling with pole selection, he said he started to feel good taking vaults up. 

“I finally found a pole I was com­fortable on that threw me up and gave me better pop,” Raffin said. 

He then attempted a per­sonal best at 4.97 meters but did not achieve it. 

“It just didn’t happen that day, but I found a rhythm that meet and it’s a good step in the right direction.” 

In the triple jump, freshman Joshua Nichols jumped 12.76 meters and fin­ished 15th. Baldwin also fin­ished fourth in the high jump with a jump of 1.85 meters. 

On the track, sophomore Jacob Schmidt ran the 200 meter dash in 22.65 seconds which earned him 15th. He was fol­lowed by senior teammate Ian Brown who got a per­sonal best in the race with a time of 23.05 seconds. 

Freshman Benu Meintjes ran the 400 meter dash in 50.05 seconds to place ninth. Another under­classmen, freshman Ian Calvert ended 24th in the 800 meter run with a time of 2:02.31. 

In the mile run, junior Mark Miller ran for third place com­pleting the race in 4:17.61. Junior teammate Jack Shelley fin­ished 12th running 4:25.44. 

To finish the day of com­pe­tition, the men’s 4x400 meter relay fin­ished eighth with a time of 3:27.22. The team was made of Meintjes, Schmidt, Calvert, and Baldwin.

Towne said he is looking ahead to the next few meets as chances to improve. 

“We’ve got to start taking steps forward which requires more- more effort and more cham­pi­onship deci­sions. I’m not really inter­ested in “just okay” meets.” 

The Chargers are hosting the Con­ference Crossover in Biermann Ath­letic Center Friday, Jan. 24. Teams from the GLVC, GLIAC, and G‑MAC will be in atten­dance. Events begin at 4pm. The events begin at 4pm.