In the wake of the tragic death of Kobe Bryant, an ath­letic and cul­tural icon, some are using this oppor­tunity to prop­agate an agenda.

When bas­ketball legend Bryant died in a heli­copter accident on Sunday, alongside his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, and seven other people, the world united in mourning the loss of an icon — except for the woke Wash­ington Post reporter Felicia Sonmez. 

During this out­pouring of love for Bryant, Sonmez offered her con­do­lences by tweeting an article from 2016 titled “Kobe Bryant’s Dis­turbing Rape Case: The DNA Evi­dence, the Accuser’s Story, and the Half-Con­fession.” 

While a con­ver­sation about the alle­ga­tions against Bryant may be rel­evant at some point, out of respect for the dead, let’s at least wait until after the funeral to discuss them. 

Sonmez probably thinks she was brave for being con­trarian and focusing on the stain on his name (this is the age of #Belie­veAll­Women), but let’s hope she never has to mourn loved ones while those around her talk about any­thing other than their goodness. 

Let us also remind our­selves of the obituary the Wash­ington Post wrote in memory of Al-Baghdadi, the leader of ISIS, referring to him at first as an “austere reli­gious scholar.” They’re fine praising a known ter­rorist, but not Bryant.

Mean­while, Bryant’s wife is without a husband, his kids are without a father, his parents are without a son, and the world is without a hero.

Unfor­tu­nately, Sonmez isn’t the only problem. She is just one of many jour­nalists who forget their humanity because their jour­nal­istic pride is in the way. It’s not the story that matters to jour­nalists like this — it’s all about them. 

When Pres­ident George H.W. Bush died a little more than a year ago, the Asso­ciated Press broke the news and described his pres­i­dency as one that “plum­meted in the throes of a weak economy that lead voters to turn him out of office after a single term.”  

If we can’t take a moment to rec­ognize the impact a sports legend or pres­ident had on our nation as a whole, if we can’t have the decency and respect to discuss their pos­itive influence — while saving the neg­a­tivity for another time — and if not even death can bring us together, then we don’t have much at all.