Junior Alex Oquist com­petes in Hills­dale’s 2019 indoor Wide Track Classic. (Todd Lan­caster | Courtesy)

The Hillsdale College men’s track team’s first home invite of the season was defined by improvement and energy. 

In the field, freshman Charlie Andrews came in second in the high jump with a ver­tical jump of 1.92 meters. He was fol­lowed by junior teammate Ryan Thomsen who fin­ished third with a jump of 1.87 meters. 

Sophomore Ben Raffin took second place in the pole vault with a vault of 4.87 meters.

In the long jump, Senior Ryan Thomsen leapt 6.83 meters to take second. Multi-athlete sophomore John Baldwin came in third jumping 6.78 meters. 

Rounding out field events, freshman Joshua Nichols won the triple jump with a jump of 13.05 meters.

On the track, junior Adam Wade won the 400 meter dash running in 50.68 seconds. Freshman Ian Calvert raced to second with a time of 51. 53 seconds. Freshman Joseph Ritzer placed third with a time of 53.62 seconds. 

“I was feeling kind of sick, so con­sid­ering that, I ran close to my PR,” Calvert said. “Coach was happy about it, so I was happy about it.”

The dis­tance guys took to the 800 meter dash, led by freshman Sean Hoeft who won with a time of 2:00.08. His teammate Isaac Waffle came in second. Dylan Palmer ran a 2:04.24 and placed fourth.

Hillsdale looked strong in the 3000 meter run as well. Sophomore Adam Wier ran for second place with a per­sonal best time of 8:53.80. 

“Adam was our excel­lence award winner,” head coach Andrew Towne said. “He ran a nice 3k with a big PR from basi­cally the same time last year.”

Freshman Mark Sprague took third with a time of 9:02.46. He was fol­lowed by his teammate, junior Morgan Mor­rison who ran 9:07.21.

Baldwin shat­tered his own school record he set the pre­vious week in the 60 meter hurdles. He ran 8.19 seconds and ended second in the race. 

“I had some really good com­pe­tition in the finals that came out of nowhere,” Baldwin said. “The guy in the lane next to me pushed me and I ran a new per­sonal best. I’m glad pri­marily just to be con­sistent and improving.” 

To end the day of com­pe­tition, the men’s 4x400 meter relay team won with a time of 3:26.36. The team was made of freshman Benu Meintjes, Wade, Calvert, and Baldwin. 

“Our legs were strong and I was happy with my leg of the race,” Calvert said. “It’s a good team.” 

About the meet overall, Towne said, “Nothing blew my mind, but a lot of people are moving in the right direction which is what you need because you can’t go win a con­ference title with two or three people, you have to have a full team.”

The men’s track team com­petes next this Sat­urday at the at GVSU Mike Lints Alumni Open in Allendale, MI.