Chargers compete indoors at University of Findlay

Home Sports Homepage - Sports Chargers compete indoors at University of Findlay
Sophomore Calli Townsend hurdles during Hillsdale’s 2019 Wide Track Classic. (Todd Lancaster | Courtesy)

The women’s track team looked alive following a break from competition. For their second meet of the indoor season, the Chargers traveled to the University of Findlay Open. 

The women were strong in field events. In triple jump, freshman Emily Gerdin led her team and the rest of the competition with a jump of 10.86 meters. Her runner up was senior teammate Carlin MacDonald-Gannon who jumped 9.86 meters. MacDonald-Gannon recently added Charger track and field to her athletic resume as she is also a member of Hillsdale’s softball team. In the second meet of her collegiate career, Gerdin also placed sixth in the long jump with a leap of 5.07 meters. MacDonald-Gannon finished eighth.

As the sole competitor for the Chargers in high jump, sophomore Alexie Day jumped into a tie for third place with a mark of 1.58 meters. 

Senior Kathryn Bassette vaulted her best of the season, taking fifth place in the pole vault with a vault of 3.28 meters.

“I felt like vault went really well because Coach Fawley and I came up with a different strategy,” Bassette said. “Instead of starting out at a higher height, I ended up starting at a shorter approach and a shorter height and just cleared on the first attempts, which was really good for confidence.”

The women’s throwing squad put together an impressive performance in both the shot put and weight throw. In the shot put, sophomore Nikita Maines lead the team with a put of 13.97 meters which put her fourth in the completive heat and qualified as an NCAA Division II provisional mark. Her fellow teammate, Michaela Burkhauser placed sixth with a throw of 12.73 meters and freshman Katie Weldy threw 12.53 meters and came in eighth.

On the track, the women showed up to compete in five of the day’s events. Freshman Jillian Roney qualified for finals in the 60m hurdles and placed sixth in her second collegiate meet with a time of 9.50 seconds. Junior Kajsa Johansson took second in the 60m dash with a time of 7.71 seconds. 

“I knew that the prelim didn’t feel good because I didn’t feel bouncy throughout and I didn’t hold my accel for long enough,” Johansson said. “I had to think about that a lot in the final and that went better. I stayed in my accel longer and I’m usually more warmed up by then.”

In the mile, Charger sophomore Amber Mango took second place with a time of 5:36.42. Her freshman teammate Natalie Martinson ran for third place finishing with a time of 5:40.24. 

In the 200m dash, freshman Dakota Stamm finished fourth with a time of 26.54. Sophomore Alanna O’Leary came in 5th (26.86) followed by freshman Jillian Roney who ended sixth (26.87). 

“My race felt okay,” O’Leary said. “I know I could’ve pushed myself harder so for the future I really want to focus on the little things more and approach every race with the mentality that I want to give as much as I can.” 

To finish out the strong day of competition, the women’s 4×400 meter relay team made up of Stamm, O’Leary, freshman Judith Allison, and junior Carmen Botha came into a close second with a time of 4:02.36.

The Chargers compete next Friday, Jan. 17 at Youngstown State University for their third meet of the indoor season. Events begin at noon.