The 2020 Charger Hall of Fame has been announced | External Affairs

Track and field athlete Kayla Caldwell ‘13, multi-sport athlete Tim Mustapha ‘03, and the 1992, 1993, and 1994 men’s cross country teams will make up the 22nd Hillsdale College Ath­letic Hall of Fame class. They will all be inducted into the Hall of Fame in an on-campus cer­emony on March 28.

Caldwell earned seven All-American honors during her col­le­giate career while setting school and national records. Caldwell fin­ished second in the 2012 NCAA Division II Indoor Track and Field National Cham­pi­onships when she became the first woman in school history to clear four meters on the pole vault. The fol­lowing year, Caldwell set the all-time Division II record in the outdoor pole vault. Nev­er­theless, Caldwell said her most mem­o­rable col­le­giate expe­rience came in the 4x400 relay, in which her team won All-American honors.

“Our women’s 4x4 team was not sup­posed to even make it into nationals and we got in at the last second at the end of season meet,” Caldwell said in an email. “We gave every­thing we had and ended up All-Amer­icans. It is my only All-American title outside of pole vaulting and I love every­thing that trophy stands for.”

After grad­u­ating, Caldwell qual­ified for the 2016 Olympic Trials in the pole vault. In 2018, she switched her focus to com­pet­itive weightlifting. Caldwell has com­peted in eight USA cham­pi­onships. 

Mustapha com­peted at the varsity level in track, bas­ketball, football, and baseball for Hillsdale and holds school records in football and baseball. Mustapha said that one thing that attracted him to Hillsdale was the ability to play mul­tiple sports.

“The variety of playing dif­ferent roles from the main player to a role player was so critical in my devel­opment of working well in a team,” Mustapha said in an email. “I knew it would benefit me later in life. And I just love to compete, so it offered the chance to always be training and com­peting.”

During the 2000 football season, Mustapha earned All-American honors by inter­cepting 11 passes, the most in Division II for that season. Four of the inter­cep­tions were in the same game. Both of those achieve­ments remain school records. Mustapha went on to set the school record with 21 total inter­cep­tions. In baseball, Mustapha con­tinues to hold the career records for walks and runs scored.

The 1992, 1993, and 1994 men’s cross country teams will be the first cross country teams ever to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. All three teams won the GLIAC con­ference cham­pi­onship and fin­ished on the podium at the NAIA national cham­pi­onships. 

Bill Lundberg, assistant pro­fessor and director of Hayden Park, was the head coach of all three teams and was awarded the NAIA National Coach of the Year award in 1994. Lundberg said there were many reasons those teams dom­i­nated but said the culture of ded­i­cation was what sep­a­rated them from other teams.

“The dis­tinction on those par­ticular teams was the drive and deter­mi­nation of those guys just wanting any­thing and every­thing,” Lundberg said. “They had that tremendous desire and work ethic. To see their talent applied with that, we were blessed, we were blessed.”

Lundberg said he still keeps in touch with some of the runners, but said he’s looking forward to recon­necting with some of the ath­letes at the Hall of Fame cer­emony.

“When you think about when you give and you do things as a pro­fessor and a coach, I’ve been blessed just to receive so much back,” Lundberg said. “I still recall that cama­raderie and those special rela­tion­ships.”