Allyssa Van Wienen cel­e­brates after a kill during Tues­day’s win against Ursuline. The Chargers advanced to the G‑MAC semi­final with the victory. S. Nathaniel Grime | Col­legian

The Hillsdale College Chargers won the G‑MAC Cham­pi­onship for the third year in a row after a win versus Tiffin in the final con­ference game of the season. The Chargers fin­ished the season with a record of 27 – 3 and haven’t lost a game in the con­ference since 2017. Hillsdale earned an auto­matic berth in the NCAA DII Midwest Regional with the win. The Chargers moved up a spot in the national ranking now holding the number 10 position and breaking the top 10 for the first time this season. 

Chris Gravel was awarded Coach of the Year honors at the G‑MAC con­ference awards pre­sen­tation for his out­standing lead­ership of a Chargers team that proved to be a con­tender for national com­pe­tition. 

Junior Allyssa Van Wienen was named G‑MAC Player of the Year after an extremely impressive season in which she helped lead her team to its third straight con­ference cham­pi­onship. Van Wienen, Lindsey Mertz, Taylor Wiese, Karoline Shelton, and Hannah Gates were all named first-team all-con­ference for their per­for­mances this season. Maggie DePorre received second-team all-con­ference honors for her con­tri­bu­tions to the team this season. 

Van Wienen was awarded G‑MAC Player of the Week honors for the seventh time on the season while senior Taylor Wiese was awarded G‑MAC Defensive Player of the Week honors for the fourth time this season. Van Wienen’s seven OPOW awards is the most in school history for any Charger vol­leyball player.

The Chargers beat the eighth-seed Malone Uni­versity in the first round of the Cham­pi­onship with set scores of 28 – 26, 25 – 19, 23 – 25, and 25 – 21, respec­tively. The Chargers led Malone in almost all sta­tis­tical cat­e­gories with a .190 hitting per­centage, 11 blocks, and 10 service aces. They tied Malone in digs with 90. 

In the Con­ference semi­finals, the Chargers faced Ken­tucky Wes­leyan, the fourth seed in the con­ference. Hillsdale swept Wes­leyan, winning the match in three sets. The Chargers won with set scores of 25 – 14, 25 – 21, and 25 – 9 respec­tively. The Chargers led in all sta­tis­tical cat­e­gories with a .243 hitting per­centage, nine blocks, 60 digs, and six aces. 

The Chargers entered the final round of the G‑MAC Con­ference Cham­pi­onship with a hefty number of wins under their belt and the goal of winning the cham­pi­onship for the third season in a row. The Chargers fell in a tough first set to Tiffin losing 26 – 28, but bounced back to win the next three sets with scores of 25 – 19, 25 – 13, and 25 – 20, respec­tively. The Chargers led Tiffin in hitting per­centage with .243, blocks with 12, and digs with 92. 

In the match versus Ken­tucky Wes­leyan, the Charger defence stepped up and delivered a solid per­for­mance. Taylor Wiese fin­ished the game with 19 digs, setting the all-time school record for digs with 2,141 in her career. She beat the pre­vious record of 2,134 held by Megan Howard. 

Karoline Shelton also put together an impressive match with 11 kills, 12 digs, and two block assists. Lindsay Mertz fin­ished the match with 36 assists, two aces, and five digs. 

In the match versus Tiffin, Junior setter Lindsey Mertz had  53 assists, 11 digs and two kills. Audrey Riley had 16 digs in the match while Madie Schider had 11. On the offense, Allyssa Van Wienen fin­ished with 19 kills and a .471 hitting per­centage, and three total blocks. Shelton fin­ished the game 18 kills and 13 digs and a .314 hitting per­centage, while senior Dani Jones had 10 kills. 

The Chargers, having been ranked 10th in the country for a number of weeks and winning the G‑MAC Cham­pi­onship, were seeded second for the Midwest Regional Tour­nament. The Tour­nament will begin on Dec. 5 and will take place at Lewis Uni­versity in Romeoville, Ill. The Chargers will face the 23 – 9 Uni­versity of Indi­anapolis in the first round. Earlier in the season, the Chargers beat the Uni­versity of Indi­anapolis in three sets.