The Hillsdale Arts Chorale in St. Paul’s Lutheran Church. Courtesy | Steph Gordon

The Hillsdale Arts Chorale, accom­panied by musi­cians from Michigan State Uni­versity, will perform in Hillsdale College’s Christ Chapel at 7 p.m. on Dec. 14. 

Their concert, entitled “Cel­e­brate the Light,” will feature Charpentier’s “Messe de Minuit” and a variety of carols. The concert costs $10 per person and those under the age of 18 are given free admit­tance with an adult present.

Greg Bailey ’89, the exec­utive director of the chorale and a singer in the bass section, said the chapel will provide a unique expe­rience for the concert.

“The sound of that enormous space and the way it will bounce off the walls will be like the way it was years ago in large cathe­drals,” Bailey said. “It’s going to be a won­derful expe­rience for us.”

The concert will be con­ducted by Clelyn Chapin who is pur­suing her doc­torate in musical arts at Michigan State Uni­versity.

“Charpentier’s piece is actually a mass that was orig­i­nally meant to be per­formed in a space like Christ Chapel,” Chapin said. “This concert will be a won­derful oppor­tunity to see both Hillsdale as a college pro­viding this new per­for­mance space to the com­munity and also see all the gifts the Hillsdale Arts Chorale has to offer.”

Bailey said the chorale wel­comes members from the Hillsdale com­munity and sur­rounding counties. 

“The quality of this group in the town of the size of Hillsdale is just wild,” Chapin said.

“The amount of musi­cianship and expe­rience is very special here.”

Founded in 1973, the Hillsdale Arts Chorale is in its 47th season and per­forms four con­certs every year, typ­i­cally, in St. Paul’s Lutheran Church.