Wall Street Journal edi­torial columnist Kim­berley Strassel. | Flikr

When Donald Trump was elected pres­ident in 2016, a tumul­tuous cam­paign season fore­shadowed the aggressive “Resis­tance,” as Wall Street Journal edi­to­ri­alist Kim­berley Strassel calls Trump haters in her newest book “Resis­tance (At All Costs)” released Oct. 15. This “Resis­tance” movement would violate ethical codes and due process in an attempt to impeach the pres­ident.

Strassel’s book is a timely and thorough ren­dition of the events fol­lowing the 2016 election, with the Mueller probe, the Kavanaugh con­fir­mation hearings, and the rampant behavior of the main­stream news media over­shad­owing any pos­itive legacy the Trump admin­is­tration could leave behind. The admin­is­tration has sought to embrace the checks and bal­ances of the branches, and remain true to the intent of the Con­sti­tution.

“Unlike his pre­de­cessor, [Trump] has not gov­erned by exec­utive orders. He has dra­mat­i­cally reduced the size of federal gov­ernment – not expanded it. He has appointed judges on the basis of their fidelity to the clear lan­guage of the Con­sti­tution and law,” Strassel wrote. “It is instead the reaction to Trump that is new and alarming, and that threatens to leave enduring marks.”

With her evi­dence, Strassel tells the nar­rative of the aggression and obstinate behavior that earns Trump haters the name of the “Resis­tance.”

Through detailed reporting and inves­ti­gation, Strassel shows her audience how the Resis­tance has fun­da­men­tally altered American society with its hateful dis­po­sition toward the sitting pres­ident. At all costs. Including using one source with two pieces of spec­u­lative evi­dence as the only basis for the Mueller probe, or Christine Blasey-Ford’s inability to answer ques­tions during the Kavanaugh hearing about her own per­sonal expe­rience against her alleged assaulter.

Of her own book, Strassel writes that it’s “a book of more radical ele­ments of the Resis­tance, and how their reaction to Trump is causing sig­nif­icant damage to our insti­tu­tions and political norms.”

Strassel doesn’t use the book to reit­erate the news or rein­terpret events we already know. Instead, she fills in the infor­mation gaps with details the public never seemed to hear on main­stream media in the original reporting, pro­viding clarity to the defining events of Trump’s first years in office.

“Trump at most will be in office for eight years,” Strassel writes, but added that “we may be living with the wreckage of the Resis­tance for much longer.”

In “Resis­tance (At All Costs),” as well as her reporting for WSJ, Strassel isn’t afraid to crit­icize or rec­ognize the wrongs on both sides of the political aisle. Strassel openly dis­cusses the insen­sitive ad hominems and mockery Trump showed his oppo­nents during the cam­paign of the 2016 election. 

“He’d taunted his primary rivals — making fun of Carly Fiorina’s face, calling Jeb Bush ‘dumb as a rock,’ and ridi­culing the size of Marco Rubio’s ears,” Strassel writes.

But as Strassel points out, most of the Resistance’s slights against Trump were either exag­ger­a­tions based on these unflat­tering com­ments or com­pletely made up. Labels such as ‘homo­phobe’ or ‘racist’ had never been used to describe a pres­ident prior to Trump, yet this behavior opened avenues to nothing less than libel.

“They accuse Supreme Court nom­inees of rape. They break Senate com­mittee rules,” Strassel writes. “They breach gov­ernment rules and reg­u­la­tions, and even statutes (see all those leaks of clas­sified infor­mation).”

“Resis­tance (At All Costs)” brings to the surface a serious epi­demic facing American society today: the breakdown of tol­erance, and refusal to commit to the con­sti­tu­tional and demo­c­ratic process of justice. 

But Strassel doesn’t leave her readers asking the question, “What can be done?” In the con­clusion of her book, she offers a solution. Strassel rec­og­nizes the dif­fi­culty of the present state of pol­itics, but says that true change “requires a leg­islative or admin­is­trative response.” This may feel unreachable by the average voter and reader, but Strassel encourages her readers to not only attempt to be engaged in local political matters but national as well.

“You might think that one voice is nothing. But you aren’t one voice,” Strassel con­cludes. “Mil­lions of Amer­icans feel the same fervor about keeping our country on a strong, viable, con­sti­tu­tional path. All those voices together cannot be ignored.”